LED question

Les Henson

I'm in the process of ordering the LED's for catflap and have noticed that coloured bulbs are recommended even if you have coloured lenses. There's no explanantion for this, and as the incandescent bulbs were originally clear, why the need to use coloured?

Les.

I'm in the process of ordering the LED's for catflap and have noticed that coloured bulbs are recommended even if you have coloured lenses. There's no explanantion for this, and as the incandescent bulbs were originally clear, why the need to use coloured?

Les.

I think it is about a coloured lens doing a better job at diffusing the light - in other words, with a LR lamp unit there is no reflector and the lens is responsible for diffusing the light to give a larger area of colour and illumination.

I have clear stop/tail lamps with LED bulbs and they work just fine - they are better with the red lenses too though.

Chris

What type of bulbs did you buy Chris?

There are the 48-led clusters that shine in all directions, and then there's the 9 and 25 cluster lamps.

Because I'm using military light with a limited amount of lens visible from the side - I thought the 48 lamp clusters, but the lesser quantity for the front side light.

Les. :)

What type of bulbs did you buy Chris?

There are the 48-led clusters that shine in all directions, and then there's the 9 and 25 cluster lamps.

Because I'm using military light with a limited amount of lens visible from the side - I thought the 48 lamp clusters, but the lesser quantity for the front side light.

I have the 24LED type, 19 forward and 5 small ones radially. I use the same ones for stop/tail and front side lights - different colours and contacts obviously. :) 48 LED sounds excelent as long as they fit in the lamp unit. Some LED bulbs do not fit in the standard LR lamp units, I do not know about mili ones, they may be designed differently.

Chris

Ok, standard incandescent indicator bulb is 46mm long, and equivalent LED is 35, so no problem with fitment. It look as though there's more room inside a mil lamp than a placcy series one. Can't seem to find suitable replacement for the front sidelight though.

So far:-

Indicators - Pt No 382 - 15mm bayonet 25 amber clusters.

Stop/Tail - Pt No 380 - a5mm dual contact bayonet base.

Front sidelight - Pt No (207 / 245 / 382) white 15 LED replacement bulb.

The problem is more overall diameter rather than length (ooh er) some of the lamps are of a bigger diameter especially the multiled ones and they wont fit thru the back of the light unit, more of a problem on the 300Tdi/Td5 ones which don't have the removeable lens (like the series ones which do..).

Also in typical LR fashion, the loom is wired so the bayonet body is +ve and the pip -ve on the side lamps and indicators (on my 300Tdi), so you will have to cut and shut the connections. If you go for leds on the indicators u will need load resistors or change the flasher ( think VWP and ultraleds do them for leds)

Guest diesel_jim

What's the cheapest place to get these LED bulbs replacement units from?

I got some cheap dash ones through work from one of our fruit machine suppliers of all places! B) about £1 each (the little wedge bulbs) so now my dash is great, just want to do the rest.

All my stuff will be from UltraLeds, and they supply a flasher unit as well so that you don't have to fit resistors everywhere.

Total cost of 4 x indicators, 2 x stop/tail lamp, 2 x front sidelight, and the flasher relay comes to £73.98 inc VAT. Not cheap, but they are going down in price and getting as bright as normal bulbs all the time.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim

Jeez... they're still a lot of dosh for bulbs arn't they? £17.99 for a pair of indicator lights....

annoying that you can get the boy chav racer night-rider style for a few quid, but anything remotely useful costs an arm and several legs! :angry: