Santana 2 1/4 Turbo

tiagoc

I'm planning to install all the "good bits" (this includes, at least, the following: power steering; parabolics; disc brakes; 5 speed gearbox; 2 1/4 diesel engine with turbo; rear double-cardan propshaft) from a late SIII Santana into my current english SIII 2 1/4 diesel. They're both SWB. I hope that, since the models are very alike, the installation of all these parts will be easier.

But I'm not sure if it's easy to find repair kits for the engine or gearbox, if/when needed. Does anyone know if parts from the Land Rover SIII and earlier (Ninety/One-Ten and Defender, mostly) will fit the Santana parts?

Main differences:

- the engine is believed to derive from the standard 2 1/4, but "reinforced" to take the Garrett turbo

- it has a timing chain (the standard 2 1/4 doesn't)

- the air filter has a paper element, opposed to the oil bath from the standard 2 1/4

- the oil circuit has a small radiator (because of the turbo?)

- a starter motor from the standard 2 1/4 fits this engine (tested and confirmed)

- the injection pump is on the horizontal (the standard 2 1/4 has it vertical) and is described in a manual as "D.P.S. corrector neumático de caudal" (google translates this to "tire flow corrector", but I believe it should be something like "hydraulic flow corrector"?). The standard 2 1/4 is described in the same manual as "D.P.A. regulador mecánico" / mechanic regulator

- the injectors are described as the same, for both models: "PINTAUX BONO / SPC 6209"

- the 5 speed gearbox and transfer box from the Santana have more fluid capacity than the Land Rover

- the "4x4/4x2" + "low/high" levers become only 1 in the Santana and it's located in the middle of the tunnel (not on the sides)

- the gearbox is big, with a very small rear double-cardan propshaft (this will make it impossible to fit the rear Salisbury I have waiting in the garage floor for some time)

- the crossmember below the gearbox is removable

For those who don't know this model:

fichero_1219_20040415.jpg

fichero_1223_20040415.jpg

Tipo: Cuatro cilindros en línea turbodiesel.

Cilindrada: 2.286 cc.

Potencia máxima: 75 CV a 4.000 rpm.

Par máximo: 18 kgm a 2.000 rpm.

Tracción: Trasera o total.

Cambio: Manual de cinco velocidades. Reductora.

Largo x ancho x alto: 3.620 x 1.676 x 1.940 mm.

Peso: 1.490 kg.

Velocidad máxima: 125 km/h.

Consumo medio: 10 L/100 km.

Áltura libre: 20 cm.

Capacidad de vadeo: 75 cm.

More info:

in Spanish: http://www.autoaventura4x4.com/frontend/4x4/noticia.php?id_noticia=274&id_seccion=16

in German: http://auwo.net/LR_Santana/Handbuecher/santana.php

Don't know about very much however, 'normal' SIII's had two types of injector pump, the earlier DPA type (with a cable stop valve) and the later DPS type (with an electric stop solenoid), I dare say the pump in your santana is just a fairly standard late series 3 pump however it is my understanding that for turbo engines you need a compensator of some sort that reacts to the boost pressure and increases the fuel accordingly.

Plenty of info on the net, see here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22325

especially this comment:

"The pump you have is a DPS type pump not a DPA. Part no for a non turbo engine is 8520a090a i think, turbo engines are 8520a210a"

I have found that diagrams/info/mauals etc are easy to find for the DPA pump, less so for the DPS pump.

More info I've found, and more questions:

- the gearbox is the LT85

- the transfer box seems to be a LT230, but not permanent 4x4. It's said to be from the early 110, with 4x2 / 4x4 / hi / low in only 1 small lever.

Can anyone confirm me if this transfer box (LT230, not permanent 4x4) was used in british Land Rovers? If so, what models, and where can I find some manuals?

Thanks!

More info I've found, and more questions:

- the gearbox is the LT85

- the transfer box seems to be a LT230, but not permanent 4x4. It's said to be from the early 110, with 4x2 / 4x4 / hi / low in only 1 small lever.

Can anyone confirm me if this transfer box (LT230, not permanent 4x4) was used in british Land Rovers? If so, what models, and where can I find some manuals?

Thanks!

the 2wd/4wd LT230 was only fitted to very early 110's in the first few years, it was soon dropped from production as the majority of customers for 110 bought the full time 4wd fitted vehicles, I don't know how easy parts availability is for the 2wd/4wd box & the front axle freewheel hubs they were fitted with, I've only ever seen one 110 fitted with this set up & that was in France about 12 years ago.

Hi Tiago,

The common belief in Spain about this engine states that it wasn't strengthened enough to cope with the added heat/efforts impossed by the turbo (just a few survived, while there are plenty of 2 1/4 and 2.5 NA).

I would go by the 2.5 NA way. On the other hand, parabolics/5th gear/Santana power steering are a good investment (for those who haven't seen any Santana power steering, it is quite similar to the "hydro assist" mod done to defender steering, with a large hydraulic ram helping the standard steering box)

Carlos

• 4 months later...

Update:

the spanish Santana now lives next to the british Land Rover, both currently in pieces...

It's now time to see what is needed, and put it all back together!

2 things I need, for now: complete bush kit for the Santana parabolics + starter motor

I believe the bushes for the Santana parabolics are the same as for the LR ones. What are good options for polybushes? I don't want Britpart. Paddocks's SuperPro are E X P E N S I V E (+/- 140eur) but Heystee's kit has a nice price (around 75eur). Bearmach ones are cheaper, at +/- 65eur. Anyone knows their quality?

The LR SIII starter will fit the Santana. I still have to confirm if my current starter only needs some cleanning, or if a complete starter is needed. If I go for a complete unit: will the 2 1/4 Diesel be better with a Defender/Discovery/Range Rover starter (and do they fit to Series?) ?

Additional thoughts: has anyone used EVA camping mats to insulate the noise? I've read here (and around the net) that it works very well. But I'm not sure if it will stick with spray-glue to the "dash" (between engine and cabin) and under the wheel arches/bonnet/floor panels/gearbox tunnel/rear load area. I was thinking on using, at least, 10mm thick mats. I also have some doubts if they're flame-retardant. What do you think?

The LR SIII starter will fit the Santana. I still have to confirm if my current starter only needs some cleanning, or if a complete starter is needed. If I go for a complete unit: will the 2 1/4 Diesel be better with a Defender/Discovery/Range Rover starter (and do they fit to Series?) ?

It seems the bendix from the 200/300 have 9 tooths and the series have 10!! However I know a series with that starter and (until today) works fine.

• 2 months later...

As lexi and BIG DAN T said, the correct is LR SIII 2 1/4 Diesel has timing chain :) Thanks! The Santana 2 1/4 TD is like the LR 2.5TD. In fact, the timing kit to use is from the 2.5TD.

The Santana is now completely stripped down, and the chassis is being prepared to be painted. In the meantime, some parts will be ordered from Paddock:

- starter for SIII/2.5TD

- polyurethane bush kit (the yellow ones, from the blue company - I hope I don't regret it...)

- timing kit for 2.5TD

- Goodridge brake hoses (+2'')

- engine + gearbox mounting rubbers

- oil filter for 2.5TD

- fuel filters (2, for the dual tank)

- clutch plate for SIII

- various seals and gaskets

- 4 Procomp 3000

Besides this, it also needs some other parts I can't find:

- hydraulic ram for the PAS (it's leaking but it's working fine)

- front transmission. The Santana p/n is 121204 and it measures 837mm

- 3 rear propshaft UJs, for the very small (only 372mm) double-cardan propshaft. The UJs have different Santana p/n (and sizes):

--> 194811/541858/515723 - 26,98mm x 81,7mm

--> 194812/193742 - 26,98mm x 84,4mm (hollow)

--> 194816/193738 - 26,98mm x 84,4mm (solid)

My questions for you:

Does anyone know of a LR transmission with 837mm? Or a litlle smaller, to add a spacer.

Did LR ever used UJs with those measures (26,98mm x 81,7mm and 26,98mm x 84,4mm)?