Clutch Master cylinder leak

Macker

Hello, had a leaky clutch master cylinder on my series 3. Was leaking from the plunger and where the clutch pipe screws into the master. So I bought a new master cylinder, no more leaks from the plunger. I fitted a new copper washer and it still leaks from this fitting. The block that connects the pipe to the master was a bit rusty on the surface but I figured it'd be OK, could this be why it's still leaking? Any tips on how to get it to stop? This is the piece in question, I was hesitant to order a new on as it's expensive! http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1014-adapter-clutch-master-cylinder.aspx leaked clutch fluid on my freshly painted footwell! Thanks

Try annealing the copper washer, heat it to red heat and drop it into some cold water.

Make sure all mating surfaces are clean.

That is quenching, not annealing, and hardens the metal. Annealing will soften the copper, and needs to be allowed to cool gradually, not quickly. It's a good way of re-using an old sealing washer, though, if you don't have a new one to hand, though new would be better.

That is quenching, not annealing, and hardens the metal. Annealing will soften the copper, and needs to be allowed to cool gradually, not quickly. It's a good way of re-using an old sealing washer, though, if you don't have a new one to hand, though new would be better.

Not with copper it doesn't, you can let it cool slowly or quench it, it will still soften, ie anneal. The advantage of quenching in water is that the scale will be removed.