Lifting the D3 with Coil Suspension?

nwoods

Lift Options

I am looking for lift options for my coil springer LR3 (Disco 3). I'm dragging the fragile and extremely low rear end over everything. I have not found much out there yet. Has your industry in Australia figured something out yet. There are only a handful (fewer than 30) coil springers here in the US. So there is no demand to trigger some of our inventors to tinkering with it. But I know there are many more coil springers in your country, and due to their relative simplicity and durablity, I should think they are popular with the more serious off road folks.

King Coils has a 1.5" (35mm) replacement coil lift, but that's not enough for my purposes. I need 4" or 5" of lift (120mm).

It is my understanding that the major limiting factor in lifting the coil spring version is the CV joints. The air D3 lowers itself back down above 30mph, probably to prevent vibration in the CV's, which would then destroy themselves. This is my theory anyway. There is a famous thread on www.discoweb.com ("Save Darby") where a chap lifted his Freelander 3" and had his CV's shed themselves. IFS suspension has it's drawbacks for sure!

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone seen or heard of a lifted D3?

I am working on something with a company in the US that sells replacement air suspension bits for P38's and Range Rover Classics. The challenge is the shock itself. The LR part is a combined air bag with the shock through it. All the aftermarket replacement bits are two components, seperate shocks and seperate air bags. I only have one mount! I am considering buying the LR origional parts for the shocks. It's nearly $500 USD per wheel. Not a casual consideration at that price.

I would love to know what others think, and if anyone has made any progress on this topic.

Regards,

Nathan Woods

Southern California, USA

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=9

IMG_5180.jpg

Hi Nathan,

I am waiting for a reply from the UK Main DEaler for Old MAn Emu.

Will keep you posted.

Toger, ARB USA responded saying that OME Engineering has not done anything on the Disco3, nor do they have any plans on the table to do anything.

Damm

Have a chat with these guys in Belgium. They reworked their D3 beautifully, and should be able to tell you all about raised suspension. Although the site is in French, you'll have a telephone number there and can call them. They do speak perfect English...

Geoland in Belgium

Some pics:

TNDIII_1.jpg

TNDIII_4.jpg

TNDIII_5.jpg

TNDIII_9.jpg

TNDIII_10.jpg

Well it certainly looks better with the spare wheel in the right place :)

in fact I hate to admit it but if I could get one like that I could be quite tempted :unsure:

even knowing how many silly electronics there are in them :rolleyes:

aaaargh :ph34r:

BogMonster,

The spare wheel carrrier is one of the first aftermarket add ons for the D3 to appear.

Yes you could get one like that quite easily. :D

and you can get them with very few electronics but it is a case, like nathan, of waiting for someone to do the right lift kit.

Well it certainly looks better with the spare wheel in the right place :)

Wonder what they've done about the crumple zone, though? On the Range Rover Sport (and presumably also the D3) the underslung spare wheel is an integral part of the crumple zone.

• 2 months later...

Nathan.

Did you manage to find a solution for your lift?

If not... then do a quick Google on Dobinson Springs in Australia. They will make a custom set for any vehicle so long as you provide a few basic specifications/measurements etc.

I have them on my Discovery Series I and can't say a bad word about the performance. They are a few percent more than OME but the service from Glen Dobinson makes up for that.

Another superb source of after market products for the LR3 is Matzker Racing in Germany.... again..... Google it. These boys know their stuff....

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Streaky.

www.teamsaluki.com

Nathan.

Did you manage to find a solution for your lift?

Yes, sort of. I found the expensive, cheap, and middle of the road options. Cheapest was 50mm springs from Pedders. The "Heavy Duty" 50mm springs from KingSprings are not yet available (but very soon I'm told).

The medium price option was custom shock mounts and using true racing adjustable long travel coilovers.

The most expensive option was to either:

1. Use racing coilovers, topped with an airbag for ajustable lift (www.universalairsuspension.com), connected to a controller, compressor, tank, etc..

2. Purchase factor air shocks and add an aftermarket controller, compressor, tank, etc.., most likely from this company here: www.roverspecialties.com

Funding being an issue, I went with the simple 50mm spring lift It's being installed tommorow!

Yes, sort of. I found the expensive, cheap, and middle of the road options. Cheapest was 50mm springs from Pedders. The "Heavy Duty" 50mm springs from KingSprings are not yet available (but very soon I'm told).

The medium price option was custom shock mounts and using true racing adjustable long travel coilovers.

The most expensive option was to either:

1. Use racing coilovers, topped with an airbag for ajustable lift (www.universalairsuspension.com), connected to a controller, compressor, tank, etc..

2. Purchase factor air shocks and add an aftermarket controller, compressor, tank, etc.., most likely from this company here: www.roverspecialties.com

Funding being an issue, I went with the simple 50mm spring lift It's being installed tommorow!

NAthan,

If you can. get pictures, do words, post here :D