Which winch ?

shorty1

Never had the need for one in >30years of LR ownership... ;)

You obviously haven't been trying hard enough at Pay and Plays :P

I think its recommended you have one that is pulls 2 to 2.5 times the weight of your vehicle, so for a disco 9000lb and above should do the job.

This probably won't go down well on this forum, but a friend has a britpart winch, was pretty cheap and 12000lb. Its been really reliable and pulls well and has taken some abuse (currently on the back of his challenge truck). Only thing is it is very slow.

Superwinch seem to be good value, or a second hand warn xd9000 are a popular choice, very expensive new though :ph34r:

You really have no need for a 12,000lb winch on a LR, they are deadly slow, and a 9,000lb winch will be MUCH faster, not to mention cheaper.

Give David Bowyer a ring @ Goodwinch, tell him what you want it for and he will talk to you for hours give you the advice you need.

Thanks for the replies. The only reason i am considering a winch is due to the fact both my mates have sj's

and i dont think they would be able to pull a disco out of the poo if it got stuck. Also it would help get it back on my trailer if i broke something

Kev

Another vote for Dave Bowyer, but TBH I saved for months to buy my winch and I've used it once. Glad I had it though but I mostly get by with either a strop to a mate or a bit of jacking or just trying again/decent spotting. I have got air lockers though.

I mostly use it for loading the car trailer with dead 'uns.

No, I don't want to sell it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

David Bowyer gets my vote too, known him for years, and what he doesn't know about winches isn't worth knowing!

One option i wish i'd explored more is fitting receiver hitches front and rear and the other unit to a winch tray so you can use winch at either end? front we all use a lot, but bear in mind if you've driven in, you should be able to winch out backwards a lot easier than forward maybe.....

Steve :ph34r:

I agree with Steve, a front mounted winch may not be much use for self recovery with an SJ as an anchor...you'll have fun pulling SJ's out (although a tow rpe could do that I'm sure) :lol:

100% of people I've seen with winches have been using them to recover someone else (outside of challenge competitions obviously). And over half of those could have used a tow rope.

Driver skill :D:D

haha, thats better than any mod you can buy :P

I have to say though I always prefer winching somebody out rather than using a strop (unless they are not very stuck). Its much more controlled and there is less chance of the recovery vehicle digging its own hole is some situations.

Some people do like strops and kinetic ropes. There was a discovery stuck in the lake last Tixover P&P, his mate with another disco on a kinetic rope, and that disco was attached to another mate with a kinetic rope.....felt sorry for the one in the middle! I think they did give up in the end and got somebody else to winch them out, but they were very stuck!