Fitting central locking to '82 110 doors

My 'mongrel' 110 CSW has got two door keys - one to the drivers door and one to the offside rear passenger door. The lock barrel on the back door just turns round and round - the other doors are the same.. I think.

The locks look like fairly sealed units. A 'man who knows' told me that I would struggle to change the barrels.

Hence the great plan of fitting remote central locking! Kits on sale from about £20 on t'internet.

Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Front doors: lifting handles inside right on the lock mechanism. Little lever to push up to open and down to lock on the lock itself.

Back door: Same as the front doors.

Rear passenger doors: Horizontal flip handle in middle of door to open. Small horizontal flap in front of it to lock/unlock. Attached to lock mechanism presumably by rods.

I'm quite aware that the door locking mechanisms should probably be the same, but it is a mongrel ;-)

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Simon

My 'mongrel' 110 CSW has got two door keys - one to the drivers door and one to the offside rear passenger door. The lock barrel on the back door just turns round and round - the other doors are the same.. I think.

The locks look like fairly sealed units. A 'man who knows' told me that I would struggle to change the barrels.

Hence the great plan of fitting remote central locking! Kits on sale from about £20 on t'internet.

Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Front doors: lifting handles inside right on the lock mechanism. Little lever to push up to open and down to lock on the lock itself.

Back door: Same as the front doors.

Rear passenger doors: Horizontal flip handle in middle of door to open. Small horizontal flap in front of it to lock/unlock. Attached to lock mechanism presumably by rods.

I'm quite aware that the door locking mechanisms should probably be the same, but it is a mongrel ;-)

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Simon

Good question, I have the same problem, and was wondering the same thing. It will be interesting to learn the answer without conducting a trial and error fitment.

webbersdad

As a 1982 vehicle I am assuming you have the sliding window type doors. I have a 1986 truck with lift up handle one-piece doors (wind up windows).

Lock barrels can be changed quite easily on my door locks, I must have done all doors at some time in the last 16 years!

I fitted central locking to mine quite a few years ago now, and have been very please with the improvements. The early doors have a PITA locking arrangement where if locked with a key on the outside, it can only be opened from the outside, not the inside lift pin. CDL does away with all this.

My doors have a much thinner door trim card than the later push button doors, so you are a little more restricted for space. But it is still perfectly possible :) I don't see why your doors couldn't be converted.

I used this kit from Spal. IIRC I used the 2 door remote kit, and added an extra actuator. (cheaper than the 4 door kit which would have left me with a part I didn't need). The same controller is used for 2 and 4 door kits, so no problem running a 3 door setup.

The folks at Spal were very helpful. The kit is very high quality, notably better finished than some I have seen from Maplin or Fleabay, (no idea how well the cheaper stuff works). This has been on my Landy for many years now, and all is well.

Editted to add: Give them a call, they will be able to advise how best to accommodate your 5 doors.