v i c

scabbydisco

Bought a 1994 Discovery from a guy a little while ago. he sent away the blue form log book. i got a letter back today stating *This vehicle has been recorded as having substantial damamge and you need a vic. Apparently this costs 41 quid, and if failed, no more Discovery for me. the vehicle has a smallish dent on top of the front right wing and bonnet. so 41 quid out of pocket for what? any experience of this you guys?

A V.I.C check is only a Vehicle Identity Check.....if it was recorded on an insurance claim then all they are looking for is chassis numbers and engine numbers to make sure they match the details on file....make sure the number plates etc havent been put on another motor.

I was under the impression, when selling a vehicle, if it had been declared a 'total loss' at any point in it's life you are legally bound to declare it to the prospective buyer. I may be wrong, but I would expect people's conscience to prevail here if I am....

If it is requiring a VIC, then it was most likely a Category C write off, which is fairly severe:

Category C: Repairable total loss vehicles where repair costs including VAT exceed the vehicle's pre-accident value

i.e. it is likely it was pretty smashed up at some point in it's life. If it was a garage that sold you the car, take it back, if private, I am not sure what recourse you have TBH.

I've owned a couple of cars which have been written off, it's not necessarily serious if you work out the value of an older vehicle (£1-2000) then the price of, say, getting a bodyshop to replace a few panels (EG bonnet/door) and then re-spraying the whole lot (£loads).

Doens't necessarily mean it's a shed, but I would want to double-check.

My experience with the DVLA was, erm, interesting :rolleyes:

i have had two discoverys and mk3 golf gti that needed vic tests, i have always put an mot on them before taking them to vic, you dont need too but you must trailer them to the vic test otherwise. they check the chassis number, engine number and gearbox if applicable, and numberplates, and that a repair has been started to the vehicle, they do not do an mot on them, you can then drive strait to a dvla office and tax it! its easy all i did is text one of those "check your car" they text you back and tell you its a write off cat c (which u already know) and info on the car like the last 4 chassis number, you can then use that to check the numberplate agaist the chassis number, if there ok you should be fine

regards

andy boyt

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the replies. I'm unsure about whether to go to his door and ask him to pay the fee for the vic, or go to his door, ask him to explain what the hell's going on, or just forget it and cough up the fee myself. btw, if i thought he deliberately lied to me, I WILL be Mildly miffed off.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered, at the DVLA office, that mine was a CAT C too. I managed to squeeze it in at the local VOSA and it was passed in a matter of minutes. The down side is that the value of the car has depreciated dramatically and that I've had to notify the insurance, who asked for a copy of the MOT.

The previous owner, not the garage I bought it from, told me it had been in a bump and had the wing and bumper repaired. She forgot to mention she'd been paid out by the insurance, bought it back and had it repaired, then driven it round for 12 months without a VIC.

The guy from the garage was seriously annoyed too because he'd given her a good price in a trade in and she hadn't told him about it. Now he's worried about his reputation but he was really genuine with me when selling it, as it was only in a couple of days.

VOSA were cool too and helped me loads, considering I left the country a couple of days after finding out the bad news!

If you need anymore info, feel free to drop me a PM.

I just discovered, at the DVLA office, that mine was a CAT C too. I managed to squeeze it in at the local VOSA and it was passed in a matter of minutes. The down side is that the value of the car has depreciated dramatically and that I've had to notify the insurance, who asked for a copy of the MOT.

The previous owner, not the garage I bought it from, told me it had been in a bump and had the wing and bumper repaired. She forgot to mention she'd been paid out by the insurance, bought it back and had it repaired, then driven it round for 12 months without a VIC.

The guy from the garage was seriously annoyed too because he'd given her a good price in a trade in and she hadn't told him about it. Now he's worried about his reputation but he was really genuine with me when selling it, as it was only in a couple of days.

VOSA were cool too and helped me loads, considering I left the country a couple of days after finding out the bad news!

If you need anymore info, feel free to drop me a PM.

thanks kaliboy, but i guess i'll just have to move on with it. just tinkles me off that he ****ed me over. why for two pins i'd...............