R380 Gearbox to 200TDi

Cat_J

Hi all,

I think I am most probably going to have to get a recon gearbox for my build. I would rather get a R380 than another LT77, but can I mount this to the 200tdi with a conversion plate of some sort? Would the gearbox mounts need moving and would it affect the bulkhead much? I think if I find the output shaft on the gearbox to be knackered then I'd rather get the more reliable box than just replace it with another LT77.

Also does it attach to the L230 just as the LT77 did. I will replace the main gear in the L230 with a cross drilled one anyway.

Bear in mind that I've just bought a new 200tdi chassis from marslands, this comes with the holes to mount the gearbox mounts for the LT77. I'm not sure if I really want to go drilling holes in it for new mounts as its galvanised. I may build up the courage to do so but would more likely just replace it with another LT77 if I had to.

I'll be adding more shiney pictures to the members vehicles section soon when I've finished painting my axels as I'll then have a rolling chassis again (and hopefully soon after a working vehicle once the bulkhead is sorted.)

Cheers

Jethro

PS I seem to remember Ralph did a R380 conversion.

Hi all,

I think I am most probably going to have to get a recon gearbox for my build. I would rather get a R380 than another LT77, but can I mount this to the 200tdi with a conversion plate of some sort? Would the gearbox mounts need moving and would it affect the bulkhead much? I think if I find the output shaft on the gearbox to be knackered then I'd rather get the more reliable box than just replace it with another LT77.

Also does it attach to the L230 just as the LT77 did. I will replace the main gear in the L230 with a cross drilled one anyway.

Bear in mind that I've just bought a new 200tdi chassis from marslands, this comes with the holes to mount the gearbox mounts for the LT77. I'm not sure if I really want to go drilling holes in it for new mounts as its galvanised. I may build up the courage to do so but would more likely just replace it with another LT77 if I had to.

I'll be adding more shiney pictures to the members vehicles section soon when I've finished painting my axels as I'll then have a rolling chassis again (and hopefully soon after a working vehicle once the bulkhead is sorted.)

Cheers

Jethro

PS I seem to remember Ralph did a R380 conversion.

bolts straight on to the transferbox,

you need the stumpy bell housing as shown on the ashcrofts link [thats what my R380 is] gearbox mounts are the same as the LT77, so no change there, IIRC my LT77 tunnel & adaptor part below the fusebox is my original,so you should be able to do the same, clutch wise I fitted these parts

300tdi heavy duty friction plate UQB0000130 was FTC1994 [mines a Valeo plate] pressure cover is URB100760 Valeo part, release bearing is UTJ100210, don't use FTC5200 because it's to long & will cause the clutch to slip, I found out the hardway, thinking the 'stumpy' R380 used the same release bearing as the LT77.

hth :D

easy to tell, 130 friction plate has 8 damper springs, standard friction plate only has 6. pressure cover is common to all 200/300Tdi engines.

Not always the case, that might be manufacturer dependant. I've just fitted a Valeo OEM clutch (90/110 fitment) to my 300tdi and the friction plate has 8 damper springs - or maybe Valeo has standardised the friction plate for all manual 300tdi's?

Not always the case, that might be manufacturer dependant. I've just fitted a Valeo OEM clutch (90/110 fitment) to my 300tdi and the friction plate has 8 damper springs - or maybe Valeo has standardised the friction plate for all manual 300tdi's?

It could be the HD plate is now standard fit as it does a better job than the previous 6 spring item.

• 3 years later...

Hello chaps, Serious question, I am currently putting a 200tdi into my series and would the short block r380 gearbox fit into a series? Has anyone done it? Any major problems?

many thanks

The stumpy R380 is the same length as the LT77 so if you want to LT77 your series, the Stumpy R380 is an option. Its not a direct replacement for your current 4 speed.