Marbley trans oil

Cartman

We bought our '07 TD5 90 back in May with 27k on the clock and FLRSH - AFAIK.

He/she now has 30k and I thought it was about time to dump all the trans oil and put in quality new. There is no history of it being done before.

So I dumped the gearbox fluid (looks like MTF94 deffo not ATF - as it should be for this age R380) ready for some Amsoil synth MTL - and it came out 'marblised'. Not a good description but looked like fine graphite or similar material in suspension. Checked the rear diff (small weep on the prop seal) to check level ready for a dump out next week and that fluid is the same.

So any suggestions what the PO has had put in there. Moly? :huh:

Just bought some std Total 80W/90 so that is going in the diffs and tx case for a couple of weeks before some quality synth goes in. That should give some of the crud a bit of a flush.

I'm pretty sure all R380s take MTF94. It's only LT77s that take ATF (and auto boxes of course).

R380s take both MTF and ATF IIRC.

Yep. Well aware of that but early ones did hit the changeover when LR switched from the recommended DII/III to MTF as I recall? But that isn't the issue here. ;)

Here's a pic of the 'sludge' from the front diff :P

393532687.jpg

Looks like 'graphite' or similar?

Yes, a molyslip (MoS2) type product ............ are you sure the one shot CV grease (which is high in Molybdenum disulfide) hasn’t migrated from the joints into the diff ?

I recently drained my front diff also, and the oil looked very similar, looked almost reflective at first, and yes it was rather alarming, but I put it down to the molyslip I used in the CV's and the 1 shot CV joint oil/greese migrateing past the seals, the only other thing it could be is the hardend face of my cogs wearing theselves into oblivion, which I found difficult to belive as they where perfectly happy last time I checked, but there wasn't any big bits that i would have maybe expected if it was this. I'm guessing time will tell...

Both diffs and the gearbox have oil in the same condition (probably in the tx box too, but I haven't checked that yet).

My suspicion is that the PO was an old school gent who had a Molyslip fixation :rolleyes:

It almost looks like small ball bearings, but that doesn't seem very likely.

Elbekko,

The photo doesn't show it too well but the 'bearings' are just bubbles on the oils surface :D

Fill everything with diesel, and drive a few hundred metres (gently!). That'll flush it nicely.

I'm not sure how the oil seals would react to that after all the diff pinion already weeps a bit so ...... :lol: