300TDI injection pump

white90

Oops, i did my 300 crank oil seal from the timing belt side. oh well.

That'll be the dust seal in the front cover then,which is fitted from the inside [timing belt side]of the front cover,the crank front oil seal can only be fitted as I described above.

is that a different front cover to the one you remove when you change the timing belt?

i changed the one in the cover removed to change the belt, the one on behind the sproket on the crank held on by woodruff key and the cam oil seal.

looks like i may have done it wrong then - oh well, it didnt leak and its sold now.

is that a different front cover to the one you remove when you change the timing belt?

i changed the one in the cover removed to change the belt, the one on behind the sproket on the crank held on by woodruff key and the cam oil seal.

looks like i may have done it wrong then - oh well, it didnt leak and its sold now.

Think your getting a bit confused by names, the Front cover is the one that is removed to do a timing belt change,

the timing case is the rear section the belt/pulley's live in & it's bolted to the front face of the engine block, if you've changed 3 seals then it's OK, 300Tdi engine workshop manuals shows the cam & crank oil seals fitted from the rear face of the timing case, so that must be removed to change them, same on a 200Tdi :i-m_so_happy:

the crank/cam seal are fitted into the timing chest (where the pulleys live, they are fitted as James says once the timing cover is removed then the crank pulley after the woodruff key has been removed.

you don't remove th timing chest to fit those seals, just the relevant pulleys.

or do you mean

"workshop manuals shows the cam & crank oil seals fitted IN the rear face of the timing case, so that the pulleys must be removed to change them, same on a 200Tdi ?

Hmmm, Methinks I got it wrong then for the crank & cam oil seals, just checked my 200Tdi book & it shows they both fit from the timing belt side as per the extract above ^^^^ I should have :rtfm: first before replying, for some reason I thought I did them from the engine block side [timing case removed] the front cover dust seal fits from the timing belt side.

on another note --- Tony -- how did you capture that RAVE page, I can't get my notebook to do it, is there a set key sequence ??

Edited by western

on another note --- Tony -- how did you capture that RAVE page, I can't get my notebook to do it, is there a set key sequence ??

Ralph,

You can PRT Screen and save it as bmp (it copys the screen to the clip board)............... or use PSP (Paint Shop Pro) and screen capture / edit from that.

If you need PSP, drop me a PM an I'll sort it out when I get back from Hols. ;)

Ian

Ralph,

You can PRT Screen and save it as bmp (it copys the screen to the clip board)............... or use PSP (Paint Shop Pro) and screen capture / edit from that.

If you need PSP, drop me a PM an I'll sort it out when I get back from Hols. ;)

Ian

Cheers Ian, I'll give that a try later, I've got Windows paint on here & think I've got a PSP prog somewhere.

erm, changed the crank and camshaft seals 2 years ago when i did the belt (300TDi) and fitted them from the belt side of the case. :D

To remove the timing case/chest on a 300Tdi, the sump has got to come off - see thread on black goo from a few days ago!!!! :(

well it is now back together

what started last monday as a oil leak turned into:

transfer box off

crawler box out

injection pump off

injection pump serviced

new timing belt/seals

new aux drive belt

rear diff pinion seal

blocked/now cleared breathers

see how that goes for a while