Spetacular blow out of Goodrich AT

New Goodrich ATs on for a week and only done 200km when I had a very scary and spectacular blow out on the motorway. Front wheel sidewall totally disintegrated from the beed and tyre in two pieces. Quite hairy controlling at 70mph but luckily no accident. Anyone with stories about these tyres? Could be a manufacturing fault as the blow out was sudden and without warning. Can't imagine it was a puncture and there are no signs of any objects in the tyre or any puncture marks. I know the reputation of this tyre is very good and haven't heard of any stories like this, but would like to hear if others have any bad experiences.

Michael

Had two cooper STT's destroyed in the same way due to small punctures (or I suspect dried out 'sticky plug' repairs), which let the tyre deflate a little, then they got so hot they blew the sidewalls out big stylee - they were so hot I couldn't touch them.

Thanks chaps for your replies - had some touble posting so thought I hadn't managed to, but just seen your replies. I think the theory of under inflation from a slow puncture followed by overheating of the sidewall sounds pausible. The tyre was burning hot and it smelled like one of those burnouts big V8 american muscles cars make. The end result was sudden though and the only warning I had was for about 20-30 seconds before the blowout where I felt the car dragging slightly to the left, but not really enough for me to suspect a puncture.

That is really surprising to me. It didn't even occur to me to be a puncture. I've had loads of punctures over the years and would have thought I'd be able to detect one in a big old wobbly 4x4 with raised suspension. I think its most probably what happened, only surprised with the speed it happened. I've been inspecting the tyre outside and inside and found no evidence of any puncture marks or cuts in the side wall? Could the deflation have resulted from the tyre being incorrectly seated on the wheel (bearing in mind that I had just had it fitted a few day beforehand)?