Attempted Theft of Athena!

Athena

This gets my vote:

maplin wireless CCTV

Especially if you stick the camera in the car & the DVR safely indoors, get a good shot of them, more chance of being caught & prosecuted. You can get 4-camera setups too, if you want to get a bit spielburg about it :P

yes but then what? 4 to 6 months maximum in the 'ville. the people who steal our trucks do not care about doing time, most enjoy it. the reason? Many are heroine addicts and are paid £250 a vehicle, enough to keep them off their head for a week. You know where there is a LOAD of heroin? Her Majesty's Prisons. Particularly HMP Pentonville.

OK, so catching them and getting them sent to jail for their crimes is less preferable than repeated (and potentially successful) attempts to steal your car?

Thats not what I meant at all. I was just implying that some of the other suggestions posted here may be, shall we say, more satisfying :lol:

Of course, I was only joking. I don't think I made that clear in my post though.

It's a bit risky suggesting more satisfying solutions on the net, can land people in all sorts of trouble if it goes wrong no matter how hilarious it may be as a deterrent.

There's loads of cheap and effective stuff that can be combined for various effects all over ebay these days - alarms, PIR's, cameras, recorders, keypad locks, lights, etc.... only the other day I tripped over a complete GSM enabled wireless alarm system on eBay for £150, designed as a burglar alarm for a house but would be equally effective (or some would say massive overkill) for alarming a landy. It had PIR's, door switches, wireless remotes, even smoke detectors, and a slot for a PAYG SIM card so it would text/call you if something was going on. GPS trackers are also cheap these days. hell, even a £10 PAYG mobile wired to a relay could act as a remote controlled kill-switch for your car. You really are spoilt for choice these days.

Given that most of that stuff works on basic levels like relay contact-closure or similar, you can wire it together in all sorts of weird combinations to create almost any level of security system - interior light switch, motion detecting camera, ignition key, air raid siren, clutch/brake pedal switch, hydraulic shutoff solenoids on any fluid line, pressure mat in the driver's seat, flashing 12v LED's, PIR on the driveway, electric shock toy wired to the gearknob, automatic lawn sprinkler, paintball smoke grenade, shark tank and trapdoor, etc... the possibilities are, as they say, endless ;)

One that i use which i found once by accident when my truck wouldnt start is the spade wire on the fuel pump.........not sure exactly what it does but iff you lift the bonnet and pull the wire off before you go anywhere the truck simply wont start without it on????and would stump most people.....maybe you could take another piece off wire pushed into the bulkhead with a spade on it and use it as a dummy one when the other one is off.........