What's wrong with my steering?

TheRecklessEngineer

Hello hello, the SVA police have woken up :ph34r: fitting PAS does not mean a void VIN or a Q-plate or automatic kitten death. I'd also suggest that rantings about SVA etc. are best kicked off in a separate thread before it all descends into the usual bunfight, let's keep this as a technical thread eh?

Repairing it may be a little easier than fitting PAS but you end up with the same old steering afterwards as opposed to much nicer (and potentially safer) PAS.

The regs around what constitutes a radically altered or original vehicle specifically and clearly state an "unmodified and unaltered chassis". You can't get around that. I'm just trying to make sure that the OP has all the relevant information that I can give so that they can make the best possible decision. It is entirely their decision to make, but you have to consider legal issues as well as technical ones if the vehicle is to be used on public highways. There are an awful lot of highly modified or "bitsa" vehicles which are breaking the rules, and that means their insurance will be void if they have an accident. Not very fair on the third party, is it, if the insurers don't have to pay up to them?

Now, If you can post a link to a regulation stating these VIN issues only apply to rebuilds or new-builds, not alterations to in-service cars, then great, but I have not managed to find such a directive. I'd be happy if it exists, because that would allow me to undertake a similar mod, but I don't believe I can without losing my VIN and thus the tax exemption.

As for the rocker shaft replacement, I found PA Balnchard to be the cheapest source of a genuine new item, holding a lot of old MoD stock.

I don't believe I can without losing my VIN and thus the tax exemption.

You don't lose the VIN for an Amatuer Built vehicle, which is the category it would fall into, and therefore not lose the tax exempt status.

By that logic mounting an air tank to the chassis (for example), or a roll cage, would lose you your VIN.

There is no set limit for modifications as to where the point is where you would lose the chassis ID, but for example building your own rear cross member out of box section, with integral winch mounts etc, is allowed. Members on here have done it and had it OK'd.

I doubt a VIC inspector would fail it for the mods required to fit PAS. As long as it's done safely etc.

But the only way to know for sure is to phone them and ask. Then get it in writing.

Snagger - so have you actually spoken to a VOSA inspector, presented your vehicle and outlined the potential modification, or compared others experience with vehicles similarly modified which have been presented for inspection?

In an attempt to find out if the VIN points system applies only to complete rebuilds or also to in-service vehicles, I have tried phoning VOSA, and they fobbed me off with a reply that I needed to speak to my local inspectors. I wrote to them twice by email and twice by post, but never received a reply. That leads me to assume that they a) don't know the rules themselves because they don't seem to be clearly written, and b) can't be bothered to find out when someone asks them a simple question. So, in answer to your question, yes, I have repeatedly approached the authorities, and I have never received any guidance, never mind a definitive answer. However, I usually approach most things with a sense of caution and cynicism, rather than boldness and optimism. Different people see things with other perspectives, and some would see the lack of guidance as tacit approval, but not me - I see the lack of a reply as just that. I suppose I'm a glass-half-empty kind of person, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong. I may be being overly cautious, but having been unable to get even the slightest indication from VOSA, I think I've taken the prudent course.

Retroanaconda, while I take your point about adding mountings to the chassis, I don't see that they would have any issues with adding bolt holes or brackets. I think, though, that dimensional changes and configuration changes may be seen in a different context. So, while I can't imagine a zealous inspector being concerned with changed mountings for an engine upgrade, I can imagine them disqualifying coils spring conversions and cross member relocations for fitting PAS or LT230s. Again, I don't have anything to substantiate it other than the wording in their VIN guidelines about unaltered and unmodified chassis, but I can't find anything to contradict that.

Not wishing to sound rude, but given that you have no solid information at all, why run round with your hair on fire telling everyone else the sky is falling? :rolleyes:

I personally know at least 3 people who have taken rebuilt/modified vehicles with chassis mods to the local VOSA station and been told in so many words to stop wasting their time, in all 3 cases VINs and number plates were retained.

Not wishing to sound rude, but given that you have no solid information at all, why run round with your hair on fire telling everyone else the sky is falling? :rolleyes:

I personally know at least 3 people who have taken rebuilt/modified vehicles with chassis mods to the local VOSA station and been told in so many words to stop wasting their time, in all 3 cases VINs and number plates were retained.

Because the only legitimate documentation I have found states that the chassis may not be modified and the only contrary information has come from third party anecdotes from amateurs like us. If I could find it written down on an authority's document or hear it myself from an inspector, should they bother answering the phone or letters, I'd be quite happy, but in the absence of that, I chose to accept the information displayed on the VOSA website. No insult intended, Fridge, but I never have trusted what is written by those I don't know well on the internet and never will; there is far too much erroneous information on forums and blogs - I don't even bother reading news papers because every story I read about a subject I know about, the details are all wrong.

I'm not here to argue, and didn't start this debate. I merely raised valid concerns which have a sound basis. If you can [point to documents that say your interpretation is correct, then great - I hope that you are, because it allows us a lot more flexibility. In the meantime, I would point people to the "radically altered" section of the vehicle registration section of the VOSA site and ask them to read it for themselves and make their own decision. As I said, I may be being overly conservative, but it's better than sticking your head in the sand.

Thank you to everyone for pointing out the potential issues - I'm well aware of them, however I don't see this as a radical modification. I've moved a crossmember a few inches forwards and drilled and sleeved a few holes through the chassis. Nothing that would affect the strength of the chassis. In fact I'd expect mine to now be stronger than the original - more on this in the writeup, coming soon... :ph34r:

Had I replaced the entire chassis with scaffold tubes bent into shape with a lump hammer, then I'd expect some raised eyebrows at VOSA.