where to get shear pins?

Finn

Hi guys,

I am after some shear pins for the drop down series pto.

I might would like to buy a larger quantity.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Finn

My laptop with the series superwinch parts book is broke, so i can't find the part numbers. There are 3 sizes of shear pin used depending on what size winch wire you use, i'm not sure what size the non winch pto uses.

All 3 sizes of shear pin are available from P.A.Blanchards, the only place i could find them when my mate wanted some. when we went down for some they said they'd never sold any beforeand had a box full of each size covered in dust.

My 110 has the pto superwinch with the overload clutch and the first time i actually had to properly use it it just started clicking when under load, even did it when re-rigged with a snatch block, was only in snow.

Does anyone have the manual for this winch? i can only find the hydraulic version. I'd rather get the overload properly adjusted rather than welded up.

Martin

Snip

My 110 has the pto superwinch with the overload clutch ... Does anyone have the manual for this winch? I can only find the hydraulic version. I'd rather get the overload properly adjusted rather than welded up.

Martin

Have you researched the Tech Archive on this site? I haven't, but then I don't need the information :-)

I do recall reading, I am sure on this site, about the different settings that the clutch might be set to, depending what duties the winch had been put to when it was in commercial use.

The information could be in a thread from some years back. Not every bit of useful information makes it to the Tech Archive.

Good luck.

My two responses, which I didn't post as there weren't direct answers, more opinions, is that you would be better served buying a chain from someone who deals in chains, rather than looking for a Superwinch spare.

A bit like buying wheel bearings from a bearing supplier rather than a dealer in car parts.

OK, you will have to learn how a chain size is specified (I don't know), and may have to buy Imperial from the UK rather than a local Metric chain. From my cycling days, ISTR that sometimes the chain manufacturer put their name on alternate links. You will need to clean a section of the chain thoroughly, and view it in a good light.

Secondly I'd say the split link cannot be as strong as a fully riveted link, so yes, it's a known weak spot, BUT it shouldn't fail for no reason. A single failure is no reason for a design change. Look for signs of a partial or total seizure downstream of the chain.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...