New Freelander

MJIbex

Interesting info, thanks :)

For "New" read "we grafted a RR sport air intake on to the wing of the old one and changed the alloys" :)

"Gradient release control": another variation on the unreliable electronic handbrake pioneered in the D3 cos we were a bit concerned that the recall actions on Freelander and Discovery handbrakes hadn't been enough ;)

Interesting to note they are still calling it a Td4 would have thought a new name would be better for the new engine, given the 50% power increase which must make it go like &&&& off a shovel! The Td4 is no slouch so unless the new one is made of lard it ought to be quite zippy I should think, six speed box too :)

The Terrain Response system is also brand new. It has four settings: Gravel Driveway, Tesco's Car Park, Double Yellow Lines Outside School and Bump Up Over Kerb :P

I wouldn't really want another Freelander (had a Td4 for a while) but it looks like a big improvement over the old model and I bet they sell by the truckload :)

• 4 months later...
i think they have managed to make the new flander look softer :rolleyes:

i prefer the last model but thats just my personal taste

whats the drive train like, same problematic ird??

Drove the new one extensively on the Autocar event here and it is like night and day when compared to the old one. Mini RR Sport looks, excellent handling, very effective traction control and more interior space than my Discovery 2 except for the loadspace but even that is 50% bigger than the old one.... I might buy one and after six months with a Td4 I never thought I would say that

all new drivetrain, haldex limited slip rear diff with Terrain Response giving traction control cross axles, and it works very well :) much better than the stupid traction control on my Discovery!

Land Rover have got the info for the new Freelander on their website for anyone interested

Freelander 2

Mark

Nice - but what a price - :blink:

Starts at £21K in the UK and goes up to £34K!!

I think a lot will be waiting to double check the reliability and to wait for some other poor sucker to take the deprciation hit.

Nice - but what a price - :blink:

Starts at £21K in the UK and goes up to £34K!!

I think a lot will be waiting to double check the reliability and to wait for some other poor sucker to take the deprciation hit.

Yep - but it's being built at the Jag plant so hopefully reliability will be Halewood not Solihull :) Jag do very well in the JD Power surveys

Must say that the 2 early cars we had here with Autocar seemed to be fairly well screwed together IMHO

• 4 weeks later...
:D for that sort of money , i should b---- well hope they are fairly well screwed together :D

Just seen my first one today in the flesh and very nice it looks too.

Also looks well put together, but the real test will of course be the longevity.

Also not 100% sure about the front grille - can't decide if I like it or not, looks even more 'bling' than the one on the RR sport IMHO

I went to a LR event at Eastnor in December to drive this car...

On road it's extremely confortable and drives very well. Great seats and feels like it's been put together really well.

Off road it was extremely capable. We went out in the same cars, road tyres etc. and went some places I would think twice about in my 110.... Dunked to bonnet depth, mud to the floorpan etc. The hill decent stuff is pretty damned good.... Watching other cars you can see it taking care of the braking and it does each wheel individually...

Hill climbing was great considering the tyres ! No need for lockers... It did it all electronically! If you lose traction in one wheel, no power goes to it....

The pre-set modes mentioned above are what the engineers thought would be a good idea and they stuck other images on them for gravel, mud, snow/sand but are probably going to get more use as "Gravel Driveway, Tesco's Car Park, Double Yellow Lines Outside School and Bump Up Over Kerb"