Re-torque a head

Daan

As the title says, I rebuild my 300tdi, assembled it with a new head gasket and torqued it up to the correct torque and angle.

I remember in the old days, you had to run the engine for a while for it to settle and then re-torque the bolts to fininsh of the job. I havent heard of this for ages and no guide makes a mention of this anymore. Is re-torqueing the bolts old school?

Daan

It was more engine/manufacturer specific IIRC, some had to be run up, some left overnight and done in the morning, but was more for aluminium blocked engines.

I'd just follow the workshop manual procedure for your engine.

As the title says, I rebuild my 300tdi, assembled it with a new head gasket and torqued it up to the correct torque and angle.

I remember in the old days, you had to run the engine for a while for it to settle and then re-torque the bolts to fininsh of the job. I havent heard of this for ages and no guide makes a mention of this anymore. Is re-torqueing the bolts old school?

Daan

The angle after the torque stretches the head bolts removing the need to re-torque.