200tdi keeps running

My works Land Rover has an annoying intermittant fault.

Now and then (and with increasing regularity) the engine keeps running after the key is turned.

I have already changed the stop solenoid, and thought I had cured it, but no joy.

I have also replaced the spade connector on the wire to the solenoid... again no joy.

What else should I be looking at?

Faulty ignition switch maybe, we had this problem on a boat in work this week. Try pulling the wire off the soleniod and see if it stops then. At least this will isolate whether the problem is something mechanical in the pump or something electrical further up!

Dave

4 possabilities

power cable is constant on for what ever reason - pull it off and see if that stops it...

The new solinoid is faulty (unlikely)

There be gunk in the solinoid whole jamming it all up

The actual pump has expired or attempting to. (fingers crossed its not this one, as a rebuild/service on one will set you back £300 plus vat (as I have just been quoted) DOH.

Faulty ignition switch maybe, we had this problem on a boat in work this week. Try pulling the wire off the soleniod and see if it stops then. At least this will isolate whether the problem is something mechanical in the pump or something electrical further up!

Dave

I had a thing like this... a really annoying one...

It turned out to be a worn key in the ignition barrel... every time I went over a bump the thing would turn itself off!! The wieght of all the other keys on the bunch and the lack of notches on the key was causing it to slowly jangle out of the lock...

Original part from 1989 so could'nt moan too much... :unsure:

Dave