Defender floor rotten under the seat box

I was under my 110 High Capacity pick up yesterday when I noticed some rot in the floor under the drivers seat, the foot well panel and the section in front of the seat box looks OK but it's under the seat box that's the problem, a big rusty split in the floor the length of the seat box from front to back

Is this a bolt on part or welded, I don't want to immobilise it by removing the seat box then find it's welded at the back

Any recommendations as to where to order the part from

Wack,

Having removed my seat box from my 93 NAS D110, it sounds like either your battery box or tool box has rusted into two pieces. The seat box itself (as well as the floor panels) are aluminum. Both the battery box and tool box are steel. These components are riveted in place. I would suggest removing the seat box from the vehicle, drill out all of the rivets to disassemble the seat box into its components, repaint all of the components and reassemble. When reinstalling into the vehicle, replace the seals. When the set box is removed, check the condition of the seat box ends -- they tend to corrode as the aluminum seat box ends sit on the steel sills and galvanic corrosion takes it toll (ie, if you wait long enough the seat boxes will disappear). I did all of this to replace my seat box ends with panels supplied by YRM Metal Solutions in the UK. I also purchased new aluminum floor panels from Britcar in the UK. I would expect Britcar would source the replacement battery or tool box as needed.

If you want, I can provide pictures of the disassembly and reassembly process.

Bottom line, my seat box now looks new, all seals are new and it is ready for another 30 years of service. I also, painted the battery box and seat box interiors with Herculiner -- a rubberized product made the line the beds of pickup trucks.

Scott

Scottsdale, Arizona (the wild, wild, west)

If you want, I can provide pictures of the disassembly and reassembly process.

That'd be great , thanks, I need all the help I can get, I attempted a 20 minute job to replace the rusty front bumper with one I'd had powder coated, managed to snap a bolt and 20 minutes turned into 2 hours with a hacksaw, still it's off now

If it's the tool box (driver's side) I have the part u are looking for to repair. It's what I removed from a TD5 seat box, as the fuel tank goes there on mine. It's yours for a modest forum donation?

It is the took box side, that'd be great if you don't mind,thanks, what figure did you have in mind for a donation + whatever it costs for you to post

I'm in Warrington in Cheshire, according to the link western posted I think they're all the same, i'll make the donation and send the the cost of postage either by bank transfer or paypal gift, whatever you prefer.

Thanks again BTW it's much appreciated

I've sent the £5 via paypal and sent you a PM with my address, if a mod can confirm they've received it i'll send you the postage when you let me know how much it is :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I used self-adhesive neoprene strips to separate the seat box and sill, but you still need to think about the bolts and washers. Plenty of grease can help with that, but if you can find slim plastic washers to fit under the steel ones, so much the better.