Fitting PAS to a series using standard LR parts

TheRecklessEngineer

All looks great and what i would like to do this summer.I was going to on my project v8 Henry but new chassis decided not to cut it up just yet. But now having completed it and on the road after 3 years of build which i had. So following what your doing with great interest and keep up the good work. Would love to show a couple of photoes of my build but still cant figer it out.

• 2 weeks later...

No it goes exactly behind the panel, you will probably need to trip the panel lip if you mount it low.

PIC00002.jpg

G

Possibly a silly question but here goes,

The power steering fluid reservoir, the inlet and outlets at the bottom of the reservoir, are they free flowing or are there check valves in them so it's required that you install them in the correct order?

Todd.

Disco draglink probably wont be the right length due to disco axles being wider.

When i put the rangie axles on mine with the normal series steering I shortened a rangie draglink.

I then bent the trackrod so replaced it with a HD bar and got a HD draglink shortened and drilled so i could retap it at the correct length.

When i convert to powersteering during rebuild over the next few months i guess my draglink will be too short. If you take a measurement of distance between steering arm holes theres a chance it could be somewhere near the length of my modified one which i'd be willing to part with it for funds towards my new one i'll have to buy and get shortened.

got a HD draglink shortened and drilled so i could retap it at the correct length

When you got it drilled, was it drilled with both left and right thread patterns, or just right? I'm wondering this also as my plan is to make a HD draglink.

Todd.

• 5 months later...

I'm nearly finished. It's turned into a front end re-jig in my case.

An update with more photos coming soon (although I have managed to loose one camera and break another in the course of this build!)

Hej RecklessEngineer,

It's been a while since hearing back from you on this project, any updates or thoughts afterwards?

Cheers,

Todd.

PAS on a series rocks! The system is working really well. The slop in the series steering is gone, and I have dramatically improved the lock over the (broken) series original. She's a much more drivable vehicle.

The only problem I've really had is where I disturbed the sector shaft whilst removing the top of the box due to stripped threads on the bleed nipple. The repaired box worked for a while, but then the seals began to leak really badly - almost painting the road in fact!

A new box on eBay was all of £25, and it was just nuts and bolts to replace it.

Unfortunately, I've lost the camera with all my photos on it, so I have little to show. I've got a new engine (and 5 speed gearbox! Shock Horror!) to go in very shortly though, so I can grab some snaps of the completed system - and maybe the mods to fit the R380!