What door hinges should I use?

Last new thread I create this week I promise. (Getting plenty to be going on with thanks to all the answers)

Been trying to sort out what I need to build my project 110.

I have county doors from a 200tdi and I have a td5 bulkhead - can anyone tell me what the difference is for door hinges? I've heard things about wing mirror mounts but is that all?

And do I need to do any modifications to the door/bulkhead to get them to match up. I have yet to get any hinges (something that didn't come with the project I have acquired) so if anyone knows what hinges I should use I would be most grateful.

Also my rear tub has a fair bit of electrolytic corrosion going on by the front mount points - the eight bolt holes at the front just under the rear bulkhead - does anyone know of a good way to strengthen this before I remount the tub? I was planning to just epoxy a length of aluminium strip to it before remounting to give me something to actually grip onto. However if I do this am I then going to mess up the spacing for the struts which run to the bulkhead (I think they attach to the same point - it's all a steep learning curve atm).

Thanks again to everyone who has been fielding my questions so knowledgeably and I am sorry there have been so many.

Thought I'd take on a 110 project and I'm only just discovering all the little bits and pieces I am having to think about and fix. Loving every minute of it though.

Cheers,

James

Your project sounds interesting, got any pics? :D

Td5 door hinges use slightly different gaskets/shims between the hinge and the door/bulkhead. Aside from that they're exactly the same. I have Td5 hinges on my 200Tdi 90 and on my Series III. And a set will be going on my 110 project.

There was a company selling take-off hinges for a good price somewhere online, but I can't remember who it was. I'll dig out the invoice when I get in this evening and see who it was.

hinges are the same, mirror bolt hole centres are the same, only change IIRC is the later hinges have plastic washers between the 2 hinge parts.

cut the corrosion damaged material away & replace with alloy sheet of the same thickness, you can bond & rivet it in place.

These are the ones Id recommend

http://www.rjlandrovers.co.uk/

Got them myself but havent fitted em yet (so perhaps I shouldnt be recommedning them?) but they are the TD5 type with nylon inner sleeve to prevent friction/rust.

As I understand it, the top and bottom hinges are slightly diffferent to each other (obviously the front door top hinge has the wing mirror holes in it) so they need to be positiooned correclty. Or is it the left door/right door hinges that differ?

Yes, older ones are 5/16" UNF, with a Pozi-head. Newer ones (the very latest) are M8 with a Torx head. Much better :)

Left and right hinges are different, as the hinging axis is slightly tilted towards the vehicle, so that the door opens at a slight angle with the difference in body width at upper and lower hinges.

Best advice is, fit them the same way around as your existing hinges, or steal a look at another Defender if unsure.

Thanks for the responses guys - doors weren't fitted when I got the 110 - have taken on someone else's project.

From what people have said, if I have the td5 bulkhead then I want td5 hinges, no? And as I currently have no hinges or fixings then there shouldn't be any issue in compatibility as all new and door fixings are the same?

Thanks for the advice regarding fitting the tub. Time to get the rivets out then.

And I will start posting some pics soon. I have a fair few but at the moment they are too big and I will have to spend some time changing their size in GIMP or similar.

I don't have a large garage, which is incidentally now full of all the body panels, seat box, bonnet etc. so I have borrowed a party tent and it is now taking over the drive. :P

I don't have a large garage, which is incidentally now full of all the body panels, seat box, bonnet etc. so I have borrowed a party tent and it is now taking over the drive. :P

And what a fun evening that was, Good job I have a pair of Hella worlk lights on my 90 :D

When are you going to put some photo's up?