rear monted rad's

flatback90

what's the story with rear mounted rads regarding the water pumps? i presume that the std engine driven pumps wouldnt be man enough? do you mount them high so gravity helps the water back into the rad? i presume some sort of aux water pump is needed?? tryin gto get my head round things so would like to see what others are doing. i'm not sure what engine yet although it will be diesel!

hi , i have mounted the rads in the back on both our trucks,mines a Hilux with a 3500 V8 this uses only the std water pump and uses a nissan primera radiator, my sons SJ has a similar rad to mine in the back of his and thay both work a treat.

Be carefull to bleed them out well and its adviseable to have some sort of bleed valve on the top hose.

good luck and put some piccies up

Woody

hard to put pics up of a vapour build...!!!! its still in the planning stage but its going to be bullnosed hence the rear mounted rad. got a mate in a radiator company so will probably get him to custom make something... all we have so far is a 300tdi auto disco rolling chassis, which is going to have the out riggers cut off and a tube/buggy/spaceframe made up, hopefully running 40" when allowed and 35's for every day stuff. very much in the planning and gathering stage at the moment, the build proper will start after the threepeaks in october.

Rad is mounted in the back of mine, (300tdi challenge truck), using the standard pump

Header tank is mounted up high and it bleeds very well. We bled mine by opening the bleed on the top of the rad, and also the engine block. filled the syustem using both the header tank and also the bleed on the top of the block.

Its been like this now for some time, and havent had any issues.

I can post some pics if you like but its nothing exciting :-)

Rich.

My 4.2 v8 challenge truck and my co drivers 3.9 v8 both have rear mounted rads running just normal water pumps. Both cool extremely well. We run twin peugeot 306 (i think, or was it mondeo ???) fans with a temperature switch in the thermostat housing (where the air con temp switch normally goes).

G