Axle Replacement

eastw77

• 2 weeks later...

Factory lockers, wider track, reasonable ratio, and the main reason: HUGELY stronger than anything LR ever made, or probably ever will make.

As you only change the centre the track does not change. The range of ratios is good when playing with different size wheels. but the available rover ratios of 3.54 and 4.11 do cater for most tyre sizes up to 35 inch. The increase in strength is really only of significant benefit if you are increasing the power of the motor considerably.

As you only change the centre the track does not change.

Erm, I think we have a crossed wire here :lol:

I was talking about swapping the entire axle (tube, diff, pumpkin, swivels, hubs, brakes etc) not just the diff /3rd member as the yanks like to call it.

The LC80 axles are wider track, or at least when I looked closesly into it they were about 2" or so wider, of course I may be mistaken, it was ~18 months ago I looked into it :)

As for strength, the difference in shock loading a 35" wheel or shock loading a 29" wheel is massive, and this is where a lot of breakages occur, rather than application of torque whilst driving it.

*edit* LC80 axles are 63.5" wide, LR coil sprung variants are 58.5" wide, so that's 2.5" each side, meaning no need for silly offset wheels once fitted :)

Erm, I think we have a crossed wire here :lol:

I was talking about swapping the entire axle (tube, diff, pumpkin, swivels, hubs, brakes etc) not just the diff /3rd member as the yanks like to call it.

The LC80 axles are wider track, or at least when I looked closesly into it they were about 2" or so wider, of course I may be mistaken, it was ~18 months ago I looked into it :)

As for strength, the difference in shock loading a 35" wheel or shock loading a 29" wheel is massive, and this is where a lot of breakages occur, rather than application of torque whilst driving it.

*edit* LC80 axles are 63.5" wide, LR coil sprung variants are 58.5" wide, so that's 2.5" each side, meaning no need for silly offset wheels once fitted :)

The usual Toyota conversion for a Rangie is just to change the centre, not the entire housing.

How is there a difference in shock loading a 35 compared to a 29. Shock loading usual occurs when a wheel lifts off the ground and spins due to lack of traction. A 29 will spin up quicker than a 35 and therefore will have more speed when the grip happens. A 35 due to its larger diameter will have a lot more torque behind it when it hits the ground again and will therefore not stop (shock) as easily as a 29. As the motor and power has not changed, there is no more power being applied to the wheel when the shock occurs. Most people serious enough to have 35's have diff locks and therefore shock loading is greatly reduced. But if you change your diff ratio to 4.11's due to 35's then the motor can supply a lot more leverage to the axles and tends to break the axles rather than the diff.

Actually breaking a diff will usually be the result of spinning wheels and the spider gears lock up and break or from flex in the diff carrier causing the pinion to move further out in the crownwheel teeth. A good diff lock fixes both these issues without the hassle of going to Toyota diffs.

Time to use the search function! Been done and recorded on here. :)

Sadly it doesn't seem to be recorded on here, as my build thread, which detailed fitting LC80 axles to my Disco, then my RRC, has been deleted. However I can answer some of the questions above and I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Fitting LC80, or Patrol axles has many benefits, including increased strength, lower factory gearing, factory lockers, larger brakes, wider track and longer lasting comsumables (bearings, discs, pads). It's not just a case of fitting lockers to a LR axle to match these axles as the shafts, CVs, ring and pinions, bearings and even housings are stronger on both the LC80 and Patrol axles. I could go into shaft sizes, spline counts, ring and pinion sizes but it's been done on here before.

LR axles can be fitted with various stronger internals, but you'll always be limited by the light duty, poor design. If you start spending the same money uprating a Patrol or LC80 axle they're just in another league.

Fitting wise the Patrol axle is an easier swap on the front and the LC80 axle is easier on the rear, so you take your choice. The LC80 axles can be found with E-lockers both front and rear, while the Patrol axles are only common with a rear locker. The offset on the LC80 axles is the same as Landrover making them the obvious choice.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions and will more than happily expain to anyone who thinks a LR axle can match these axles for strength why they're wrong.