Auto box query

Brasco

Hi there.. so i got this 1989 range rover with 4 speed auto box. I removed the front prop shaft for a service and tried to drive the Range but there is no drive at all. I switched to low gear, but nothing happened. So i would like to know if it's normal or if there is something busted in the transfer case with regards to the rear drive.

thanks

It should drive with no problem, Gather you have a Borg Warner auto locking Transfer box in it?

if you have then sounds like its not locking itself, which is what mine isn't doing, so replacing it soon.

If you have a manual locking T/Box then make sure the centre diff is locked.

It should lock up, I have driven my Borg Warner box breifly with no front prop on and had no problem getting drive -only for a couple of hundreds meters of course :)

They normally failed locked, but can fail open, which may have happened here.

The other option is that if the rear prop *IS* turning, you have a snapped halfshaft/blown diff in the rear axle -engage drive and get a mate to check underneath to see if the prop is spinning.

update...the high/low is operated manually.. the only thing i did not try is activate the difflock. i just switch from high to low...does that make a difference??

this afternoon i removed the front prop on our other Disco 200. its a manual...but same thing...no drive...but i did not switch to low gear... so that means both landies have busted transfer boxes ???

thanks for the all the replies.

With no front prop you will have no drive unless you either:

a) Have a Borg Warner transfer case (unlikely on the Disco, or

b) you lock the centre differential by pushing the hi-lo lever across to the left.

My money is on both vehicles having an LT230 transfer case so just lock the centre diff and away you (should!) go!

B-W came in roughly in line with the concealed hinges for the USA market, IIRC.

Anyhoo, as said you need to establish if the fornt prop falnge is turning or the rear prop is turning then you can work out whether the rear drivetrain is bust or the centre diff, assuming of course you didn't merely forget to engage a LT230 diff lock.