RRC fuel tank seems huge.....

RoaryV8

I have noticed a few times when putting a fair bit of fuel in the tank that it doesn't register as much as i thought,

But never thought much more about it, till Today when trying to fit my new tank guard i found that it wouldn't fit around the tank.

Looked under my Brother RRC sat next to it and it seems twice the size :o

Its a land rover tank and is stamped with:

ESR2585>PE+PA-GF30<

Manufactured By DynoPlast

Anyone know of any info about the tank with these codes?

it could be a long range touring tank. part number doesn't suggest it that i can see, but they were fitted to some of the LSE's and other models as an option.

a normal tank is about 90 litres, the touring tank IIRC is about 130/140 litres?

Is yours plastic and his metal?

The tank guard, if a Southdown type, was designed for the metal tank only in the early days, and redesigned for the plastic one at a later date, so it fits both.

If it is just that it is the plastic tank, then I have one here you can have, for the right fee :ph34r: Got the full tow pack and adjustable slider etc with it as well.

As for the volume, the standard one is 90l, yes, but when the light comes on, my experience is that it still has about 25 litres in it....

*edit* I have a spare, known good plastic fuel tank if yours is no good (too big), I don't need it anymore! :P

Unsure of the make of the guard, But its just the guard and no towing options.

But yeah mine is a plastic tank, but still looks a hell of a lot bigger than the older metal tank.

Hang on ill see if i can get some decent pics ;)

Right a fair few pics of the tank how its sitting etc....

The tank guard was a good 3-4" away from the chassis when it was sitting on the back edge of the tank (near the axle).

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01364.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01368.jpg

Not sure if any of them help at all :)

Is there really that much difference between 2 types of tank guard??

Thought there were all the same and fit all types of disco/RRC.

Bowie have you got any pics of your guard? Also is there anything you dont have down there? :)

Is there really that much difference between 2 types of tank guard??

Thought there were all the same and fit all types of disco/RRC.

Bowie have you got any pics of your guard? Also is there anything you dont have down there? :)

Disco has plastic tank as well, so an RRC one that fits a plastic tanked RRC should fit a Disco as well. I think the main difference is the rear of the tank and how far it cames down, a small difference here will mean a large difference at the front of the guard....

And yes, I don't have a complete, working Range Rover at the moment :P It's been going under surgery recently, and these are bits I no longer require ;)

That guard is from a V8 RRC, with the earlier metal tank....

Well, when you collect the Tbox and look at the tyres you can trial fit the tank guard at the same time if you like :lol::P

*edit* Just checked Microcat and the Disco /RRC plastic fuel tanks are identical part numbers.....

Yup... 65l was the most I ever put in it :)

And that looks like a stock fuel tank to me.

OK, according to my original 1990 user handbook, the tank holds 75,9 liters (16,5 gallons). And when the light comes on, there will be, say, 8-10 liters left. As said before "guess how I know" ... :unsure::unsure:

Regards

Bo