Disco 200Tdi Coolant Hoses in Def 90 - length question

Hi all

i have a question regarding the coolant hose setup on a Disco 200Tdi fitted in Def 90.

Does anyone know if the length of hoses from the water pump to the lower rad connector is standard and same for the smaller leg to the header tank??

Mine looks like it was been installed by Professor Frankenstein's muppet assistant out of left over bits so can't tell if they've been extended on purpose or not!! :blink:

i have to replace these due to cracking and was thinking of doing the silicone thing but would prefer one length rather than lots of joints etc.

cheers

Kev

hi kev

they are not standard length you have to cut them and extend both these pipes.the one going to header tank cut some where in the middle and extend to suit with some suitable pipe. the one that comes off the bottom of radiator cut some where near where the fan is and again put some suitable pipe with a slight bend in it.i used some stainless steel pipe which can easily be bought of ebay or other suitable places.steve parker land rovers do a proper fitting kit.but a bit on the expensive side hope this helps.

hi kev

they are not standard length you have to cut them and extend both these pipes.the one going to header tank cut some where in the middle and extend to suit with some suitable pipe. the one that comes off the bottom of radiator cut some where near where the fan is and again put some suitable pipe with a slight bend in it.i used some stainless steel pipe which can easily be bought of ebay or other suitable places.steve parker land rovers do a proper fitting kit.but a bit on the expensive side hope this helps.

Cheers Ady

The old cracked/perishing hoses had that sort of setup and looked pretty cr** in all honesty which is why i have to replace but i thought why not do it with nice blingy silicone ones ( was going to see how different colours for fuel, water and air looked!! ). Did'nt really want to cut and shunt new ones but might have to :( as i dont think SP do coloured hose.

With a lot of people doing this disco to def conversion if enough got together it would significantly reduce the cost of getting tooling/forms sorted to produce a correct size or even slightly longer tailed hose kits that could be cut down if required....something to think about there, might even look into it and find out costs.!!

Cheers

Kev

Easiest way is to get one of each hoses and cut and shut to make a perfect fit. Internal sleeving where the joins are is a pretty tidy job.

Les.

Hi Les

I was thinking along similar lines of an "invisible" joint so that just a couple of shinny clips showed on the hose if it is necessary to have a joint at all, i have just been looking at a hose supplier who sells matching tape which seems suited to this type on idea as well. Still a pity you can't just buy longer length hose looms though.

cheers

Kev,

Have you looked on ebay? i brought a straight samco silicone hose from 'racebikebitz' a while back, to go from cyclone to air filter.

*or try JW Racing..they have lots of different shapes and types of samco hoses*

Also think there's alot of companies on there selling kits, maybe by two different kits and mix and match??

If you have any luck that route, i'd be interested in what hoses etc as i need to tidy up some of my pipework in the engine bay.

Edited by crclifford

Kev, take a look at Steve Parker's website here, he sells all you need to do a tidy transplant installation of a Disco 200 into a 90/110 including hoses.

HTH

Mo

Thanks guys, ill check them all out.

Mo, i may well end up going to SP for a "quick" solution to get me up and running but i would eventually like to put silicone hoses in so will keep looking for that as well.

thanks to all for the advice and input.

rgds

Kev

didn't see this post.I came across the same problem when i swapped engine.The pipe coming out of the water pump to rad is facing a different angle,on the defender it faces left but on the disco it points straight down.I went down the cannibalism route utilising some galvanised pipe and so far,no problem.You can just see it at the top right of the pic.

P1010797.jpg

...silicon'll look great though :)

Kev, I was faced with all the same problems you have been. In the end I managed to find a scrap defender 200 engine and used all the bits from that. It's so much easier to just use standard parts. Not a budget option though but worth it.

Mo

Kev, I was faced with all the same problems you have been. In the end I managed to find a scrap defender 200 engine and used all the bits from that. It's so much easier to just use standard parts. Not a budget option though but worth it.

Mo

Mo

Problem i am faced with was getting the 90 ready for a 40 mile round trip on friday when i am getting help to do work on axles ( hub bearings, seals etc ) and a tiny weld job on front dumb iron area. As i work on a freelance basis overseas i can get called away on short notice so need to fit this stuff in when possible and also when convenient for the chap helping/showing me how to do it.

I have to admit i thought hoses etc would be easier/faster to get hold of but got caught out on this one. In the end i have ordered the 200-90 conversion kit for coolant from SP and an intercooler set from Darnton but the SP kit has not arrived yet and the intercooler set does not fit !!! Currently have had to refit original carp in order to get to the work site for the axle work friday.

Once i get the axle/wheel work done then i can relax a little as no panic/rush one hoses then so i can take time and do it nice i will probably end up getting hoses from SFS and making invisible joints if extensions are needed.

Learning loads at the moment especially as the vehicle is a bit of a heinz/mutt but it will be tidy once done.

cheers

Kev