MOT Failure? URGENT REPLY NEEDED!

Both of those pics are definitely an MOT fail (chassis and corrosion within 30cm of the suspension). New rear crossmember time by the looks of it. You may have a hole there, but the crossmember in general will be badly corroded internally and considerably weakened.

Les.

Thanks Les. Appreciate your comments and agree about the crossmember. Am aware of a company in Warwick who will fit a new one for c.£370 which seems reasonable to me. Wish I had the skill to do it myself!

Greg

So you bought the vehicle with an MOT already issued which had been arranged with a MOT tester buy the dealer (2 businesses aren't related by any chance...).

There was a list of faults picked up by the MOT but they had clearly not been fixed and more faults which should have been seen were not.

The additional faults I will let otheres argue over whether they reasonable should have been seen, but the faults that where seen should have been fixed before the MOT was issued, a retest should have been carried out.

I suspect (though can't prove) that the tester and the dealer know each other and an MOT was issued on the trust that the faults had been fixed which was not actually the case. If this is the case the tester is not going to be best pleased with the dealer and hopefully the two will get together and sort everything out for you.

I get my MOT's done by a personal friend he has in the past issued a certificate when the only fault was a none working light and trusted me to fix it (which I did), but last year I had a fail on a track rod end which although he is a friend he still required me to fix and bring the vehicle back as he considered this to be safety critical and he need to cover himself for me having and accident on the way home with a MOT which still had damp ink on it, I have absolutely no problem with this and additionally during the test I ask him to let me know if he spots anything which although not a failure is not right or starting to wear.

If you realy want to push it it is possible to get trading standards involved as the product (vehicle) "is not fit for purpose" i.e. driving on the road legally. He would then need to prove that he had made reasonable efforts to ensure it was, having know faults point out by and MOT and not fixing them would indicate this was not the case.

P.S. I would be very carefull of naming the MOT station or dealer in public until a resolution has been reach as this is likely to cause more bad feeling and ends any chance of a amicable settlement.

So you bought the vehicle with an MOT already issued which had been arranged with a MOT tester buy the dealer (2 businesses aren't related by any chance...).

There was a list of faults picked up by the MOT but they had clearly not been fixed and more faults which should have been seen were not.

The additional faults I will let otheres argue over whether they reasonable should have been seen, but the faults that where seen should have been fixed before the MOT was issued, a retest should have been carried out.

I suspect (though can't prove) that the tester and the dealer know each other and an MOT was issued on the trust that the faults had been fixed which was not actually the case. If this is the case the tester is not going to be best pleased with the dealer and hopefully the two will get together and sort everything out for you.

I get my MOT's done by a personal friend he has in the past issued a certificate when the only fault was a none working light and trusted me to fix it (which I did), but last year I had a fail on a track rod end which although he is a friend he still required me to fix and bring the vehicle back as he considered this to be safety critical and he need to cover himself for me having and accident on the way home with a MOT which still had damp ink on it, I have absolutely no problem with this and additionally during the test I ask him to let me know if he spots anything which although not a failure is not right or starting to wear.

If you realy want to push it it is possible to get trading standards involved as the product (vehicle) "is not fit for purpose" i.e. driving on the road legally. He would then need to prove that he had made reasonable efforts to ensure it was, having know faults point out by and MOT and not fixing them would indicate this was not the case.

P.S. I would be very carefull of naming the MOT station or dealer in public until a resolution has been reach as this is likely to cause more bad feeling and ends any chance of a amicable settlement.

I don't believe the two businesses are related, the dealer said he uses this MOT station along with two others depeneding on how busy they are. The dealer seems genuine enough and it may well be that he asked the MOT station to fix the faults and issue the certificate, but somewhere along the line communication was lost and in fact no-one at the MOT station actually fixed them. I have asked the dealer to look into this as I, and I am sure he too, are interested to know what happened.

I note your comments re naming the parties involved and I have deliberately not named anyone ;) I genuinely hope the dealer sees sense and offers to pay for the repairs because I am very happy with the rest of the vehicle and, apart from the chassis problems, for what I paid I don't think I'd get another one with the spec I have and the mileage (86k on a 1986).

So there is always the possibility that if he doesn't offer anything then I shall have no option but to go down the VOSA/Local Trading Standard route and maybe seek a full refund.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day!

Dirty Harry,

i suggest you move quickly because ther is time limits on sorting it out, i speak from experience on this, couple of years ago i bought a volvo v70 and within two days it was knackered, Phoned VOSA and they re-inspected the vehicle but due to them taking there time garage that MOT'd the car got away with a warning as we were 1 yes ONE !!! day out, to say i was unhappy was a understatement !!! and dont even get me going about trading standards or the credit card company !! Section 75 of consumer credit act is great but banks have all the get outs !!!!

Paul

Dirty Harry,

i suggest you move quickly because ther is time limits on sorting it out, i speak from experience on this, couple of years ago i bought a volvo v70 and within two days it was knackered, Phoned VOSA and they re-inspected the vehicle but due to them taking there time garage that MOT'd the car got away with a warning as we were 1 yes ONE !!! day out, to say i was unhappy was a understatement !!! and dont even get me going about trading standards or the credit card company !! Section 75 of consumer credit act is great but banks have all the get outs !!!!

Paul

Paul

Appreciate the tip. Fully aware of the timescales and I'm ok as the MOT was done on 19 Jan and there is a 3 month deadline to report corrosion problems on an MOT. Supposedly if I ring VOSA tomorrow, they will offer an inspection FOC within 5 working days! We'll see :rolleyes: