Did all 3.9 engines have Lambadas?

stuck

Gents,

In need of some help please.

I bought a 3.9 complete with loom to drop into my CCV truck and I'm trying to figure out the wiring, looking at a RRC book of lies leads me to the conclusion that it's a post 1990 lump going from the type of ECU connector and the fact that it doesn't have a cold start injector but the thing that is puzzling me is the loom doesn't seem to have any provision for Lambada sensors (this suits me actualy as unless I modify the exhausts I don't have any where to mount them).

I've opened up the ECU connector and pins 23 & 24 are empty and as said above I can't find any wiring that should go to the sensors.

Q1: Did LR build anyhing with a 3.9 that wasn't fitted with Lambada sensors? :unsure:

Q2: I'd squirt it but MS wont work without an air temp sensor and lambadas will it?

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

Q2: I'd squirt it but MS wont work without an air temp sensor and lambadas will it?

Regardless of which RV8 you got, you need a new air temp sender for MS and a new lambda sensor as the rover one isn't used. To fit the lambda is literally just a hole in the exhaust and a bung welded in for a couple of quid.

G

I've opened up the ECU connector and pins 23 & 24 are empty and as said above I can't find any wiring that should go to the sensors.

Q1: Did LR build anyhing with a 3.9 that wasn't fitted with Lambada sensors? :unsure:

Hi, no, not all 3.9´s had the lambdas fitted. Here in Denmark, lambdas were fitted from 1990- on. The 14 CUX ECU (I guess this is the system you´ve got?) has a "tune resistor" which choose the right fuel map for different markets. This is copy/paste from this link britishv8.org :

"Visual inspection of wire color codes will allow you to quickly differentiate between resistors.

White 3900 Ohms USA and European vehicles with catalytic converters

Green 470 Ohms UK and European vehicles without catalytic converters Yellow 910 Ohms Saudi vehicles (without catalytic converters.)

Red 180 Ohms Australia and "the rest of the world."

Note: all four types of Rover Tune Resistors were rated for 0.5 Watts.

When fitted, the Tune Resistor was connected to the ECU through terminal position 5, and it was also connected to terminal position 27 through a splice. If you wish to check the resistor, first disconnect power to the system, second disconnect the EFI Cable Harness Assembly from the ECU, and finally simply measure resistance (using an Ohmmeter) from pin 5 to pin 27 on the main ECU connector. (Resistance isn't polarity dependent.)"

Sure, i know, the MS has a lot of advantages over the old Lucas system, but on the other hand, this worked (and is still working) allright for thousands of V8´s, so why dont keep the original?. <_<

It´s like when young people buys an old house, and drives over the garden with an excavator before the first springtime - give the old plants and trees a chance :lol:

Lucas regards

Bo - probably wrong...

My 1996 Discovery 3.9 had a low compression engine and no lambda sensors, IIRC it had the red tune resistor. The D2 4.0 Thor engine (2002) has sensors but they have been disconnected since day 1, at the time I bought it you could only buy leaded fuel here and prior to getting it I did some research and found that the Thor engines will default to open-loop fuelling if they lose a valid lambda sensor input, which they did the day I got it and has been running fine for 9 years and 40k miles :)