Rear Storage

Excuse my lack of technical words to describe what I'd like to do, but hopefully I can convey my idea well enough...

I swear at one point in my life I saw a 110 or a 90 with storage compartments built into the rear, where sideways facing seats would go.

I'd like to install a similar cubby box to what's under the driver and passenger seats, in the back, inside those raised sides where the benches would go.

A, can this be done? B, has anyone got photos of something like this?

Thanks

You are not dreaming my old B reg 110 had a storage compartment in the back left I used to keep a split charged battery in there, it was covered by the same type of flap the front under seat lockers have, in fact I did wonder if I had been mistaken myself until I saw a 110 on ebay the other day with it showing. It would not work on the newer ones because of the way the single seats are mounted and it would only work under a bench seat.

Jason.

109s were fitted with a tool box in the rear end of the tub's left wheel arch. Some 110s had this, but it was soon deleted. Military 110s have jerrycan lockers in the sides of the tub ahead of each wheel arch. The early types had flat doors with two over-centre catches, while Wolfs have bevelled doors with an antiluce. The latter can be bought from Foleys. Lanybox make some aftermarket storage systems to fit the same space. None of these items can be fitted to a 90.

Barebox and Mobile Storage Systems make internal storage chests that fit the tops of the wheel arches. These will fit 90s and 110s and also Series vehicles.

Thanks all

I will certainly be pushed for space, it's just that I don't want to buy one of those lockers which slides into the loadbay, as I am not a big fan of that look, nor do I need that much space.

I just need somewhere to keep some extra tools and a battery for other electronics to connect to.

TD5's have the electronics in there with extra fuses and relay's, so need to be careful what you put in there. I have my spare bulbs and fuses in the handy plastic container velcro'd to the front. Think you would need to fabricate a shallow tray suspended over the top to put anything heavy in there?

If you have a 110, you may have that rear tool box just inside the left side of the rear door. If not, you can retrofit one from a broken 109, but you will have to rivet it to the rear wing, which won't be pretty. If you don't hate chequer plate too much, you could use some of that to hide the rivets. As I said, Barebox and Mobile Storage Systems have units which fit inside the tub atop the wheel arches and need no externally visible drilling or alteration, just bolts through the top of the wheel arches..

Up front, you may have a tool box under the drivers seat. It's not standard on early models, but YRM sell tool boxes that will fit. You'd need to fit the same type of lid and catch as you have on the battery compartment on the left side. You could also look into fitting a Series 24V style battery tray and lid which sits in the cavity between the two front seats above the transmission, using an otherwise void space. This would prevent the fitting of a cubby box if you have a battery in the re, but if you fit a second battery to the existing battery compartment (should be possible), you could use the 24V tray as a tool box and have a standard lid and either a seat or cubby box above it.

As said, there's no room under my seat, as the ECU is in there.

I tried the passenger side, but the battery is literally 5mm too big to squeeze in. I think I need to take the other battery out, then put the new in and then replace the original :rolleyes: Tetris style

I had a look at those Bareboxes, but I really want to keep the sides as they are, as I often have people sat in the back and space is limited enough when I've got a tonne of kit in the back too...!

As said, there's no room under my seat, as the ECU is in there.

I tried the passenger side, but the battery is literally 5mm too big to squeeze in. I think I need to take the other battery out, then put the new in and then replace the original :rolleyes: Tetris style

I had a look at those Bareboxes, but I really want to keep the sides as they are, as I often have people sat in the back and space is limited enough when I've got a tonne of kit in the back too...!

Yeah it is always a bit tight but you can get two into the battery box. This is a picturs of my 90 . But my 110 has two bigger batteries in the try. but dont have a pic of that at the moment

battery.jpg

Do what I did. Remake the battery box. Simple.I have the normal Land Rover battery for the engine. A Numax 110 amp battery. Proper jump leads. Two fuse boxes. Numerous relays in there. I can take either battery out without disturbing the other one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...