Heavy Duty power steering pump ??

I have a 300 tdi challenge truck with hydro assist steering and am suffering from poor steering assist (both before and after the hydro assist kit) I have replaced the steering box and the pump (twice) but I still suffer from power steering failure. I run 38.5 inch boggers at about 6 psi on the front and the power steering packed up about 2 hours into a challenge and came back and hour later only to go again. My question is can I get a heavy duty pump or do you have any other ideas as how to cure this

Thanks in Advance

Assuming you know the required flow & pressure to match the requirements of the hydro setup, you can buy any number of PAS pumps to spec off the shelf, not sure of UK sources but plenty in the states where full hydro is more commonplace.

Doesn't matter if it's assist or full hydro, you still need the correct flow & pressure for whatever you've bolted on. There's a lot of PAS/hydro pumps out there, most of which you can look up the data for. I'd start with a squint round ZF's website in the tech docs / product catalogue section.

"Heavy duty" could be anything, doesn't mean it's any better than what you've got.

I pulled my ZF pump off a crashed beemer at the scrappy, set me back all of £20 ish and runs the D2 PAS box nicely. I'd have a squint through the ZF catalogue, make a note of any likely looking parts and see if you can cross-reference to a vehicle you'll find in the scrappy/eBay.

If you Drill out the hole in the pressure pipe outlet on the pump (after removing the pipe the connector will un-screw from the pump) by about 1mm then this makes the world of difference, Your flow will increase without a great loss of pressure and it should cure your problem without buying a new pump, Changing your resevoir for a larger one will also help in keeping your fluid a bit cooler, i Have found the plastic type landrover radiator expansion tanks work well as the pipe outlet's are just about the right size :):)

Send Saley a PM he's been having 300Tdi's reconned AND modified, a beer you owe me pal.

P.S. a certain other supplier use to state 12.5 litres/min which always was b***s**t, and apparantly drilling out the outlet doesn't do much at all, according to the flow rigs, but I'll not argue that one.

Good luck

Send Saley a PM he's been having 300Tdi's reconned AND modified, a beer you owe me pal.

P.S. a certain other supplier use to state 12.5 litres/min which always was b***s**t, and apparantly drilling out the outlet doesn't do much at all, according to the flow rigs, but I'll not argue that one.

Good luck

Worked a treat for me and i am running a zf74 and was getting all the exact same issues, a couple of friends have done it running standard systems with 35" tyres and again good results, costs nothing to do and 5 minutes in time so allways worth a try??

• 2 weeks later...