MOT seats and belts...?

Ben Spray

Hi,

Any MOT testers around?

My discovery is due its MOT next week and I've given it a check over it all looks ok except the drivers side rear seat seatbelt mounting on the wheel arch is corroded and moving when I pull on it so certainly not going to pass an MOT...!

So question is as it is only being used as a van for collecting stuff and tip runs can I just remove the rear seats (or perhaps just that one?) and belts and take it for an MOT (I have no intention of refitting for obvious reasons!) leaving just the drivers and front passenger seats still fitted.

Will it cause issues as it should have had rear seats or will it be tested as just having 2 seats?

Cheers

Ben

Hi,

Any MOT testers around?

My discovery is due its MOT next week and I've given it a check over it all looks ok except the drivers side rear seat seatbelt mounting on the wheel arch is corroded and moving when I pull on it so certainly not going to pass an MOT...!

So question is as it is only being used as a van for collecting stuff and tip runs can I just remove the rear seats (or perhaps just that one?) and belts and take it for an MOT (I have no intention of refitting for obvious reasons!) leaving just the drivers and front passenger seats still fitted.

Will it cause issues as it should have had rear seats or will it be tested as just having 2 seats?

Cheers

Ben

I am not a tester but I think your registration document states how many seats you have so therefore you would need to provide a seat belt for evry seat stated on the document.

Why not pop in to a garage for a bit of free advice :blink:

should be ok but it's at testers discretion if it looks like the seats could be refitted they could refuse to test

or still fail it as you might refit them i think the seat belt mounting have to be welded over so they can't be used ask a testing station they should be able to confirm it better still fill the back with a plywood frame so it look perminant :rolleyes:

No seats no belts not tested, great you get a pass, just remember thou if you refit the seats and belts and have an accident and that person is badly injured or kill then plop can hit the fan, as they say, when the test is done they enter the about of seats tested

No seats no belts not tested, great you get a pass, just remember thou if you refit the seats and belts and have an accident and that person is badly injured or kill then plop can hit the fan, as they say, when the test is done they enter the about of seats tested

You don't have to even remove the belts.

If you remove the rear seats the rear seat belts are not a testable item.

The worst that will happen is the MOT tester will record that the test was done without the rear seats being fitted.

Section 5.2 MOT Manual

"Where a belt is fitted with no corresponding seat or if there is a buckle/stalk but no corresponding belt, it is NOT to be considered a seat belt for the purpose of this inspection."

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_520.htm

I had a shogun fail at a real strict garage as the rear seats weren't there just the belts, most garages are ok with it though.

Although the belts and seats aren't there I think They might still have a problem as the mounting area itself is a checkable place.

well I've removed the passenger side rear seat and left the middle and drivers side rear one in place, as they are solid (guess that will be ok or do I need to remove all of them?) unbolted the seat belt at the top and from the wheel arch. only issue is now theres a hole about 6" square on the arch where the strengthening plate fell away as soon as I touched it! not good but cant see it failing on that as its not structural anymore...! :)

No if the seats are in....I wouldn't trust a tester ..

There is too much inconsistency between em all.

Some fail sills outright for rot, some won't...same with boot floor welded bolted or rivet....some pass as its nor structural, some say its indirectly structural....

I'm no expert but I can see there's a lot of variation from station to station...

Rich

well I've removed the passenger side rear seat and left the middle and drivers side rear one in place, as they are solid (guess that will be ok or do I need to remove all of them?) unbolted the seat belt at the top and from the wheel arch. only issue is now theres a hole about 6" square on the arch where the strengthening plate fell away as soon as I touched it! not good but cant see it failing on that as its not structural anymore...! :)

That'l be fine the tester should amend the number at seats in use at the time of test when he registers the test, then to cover his own arse they should then record which seat wasn't fitted as an advisory.

No if the seats are in....I wouldn't trust a tester ..

There is too much inconsistency between em all.

Some fail sills outright for rot, some won't...same with boot floor welded bolted or rivet....some pass as its nor structural, some say its indirectly structural....

I'm no expert but I can see there's a lot of variation from station to station...

Rich

There is always going to be inconsisancy between testers as so much of the test is left to the testers discresion, but that said a lot of testers get it very wrong.

I think you'll find that the rusty hole will still fail ( 30cm rule - door pillar probably)

Les.

The door pillar is not a precribed area, niether is the body mounting in isolation.

To fail a body mounting (or it's supporting panel-work) in the testers opinion the body must be insecure to the point where the body is likly to become displaced.

But being as a disco has 14 body mounts corrosion in 1 or more body mounts should not fail the mot.

Just put a child seat in it and drape a baby blanket over the rusty bit, the tester isn't allowed to touch it to even look then :-p They just give you an advisory... :D

Wrong!!!

The seat belt and it's mountings are still testable items, just the seat belt inspection is restricted to the parts of it that are readily accessable.

I think you'll find that the rusty hole will still fail ( 30cm rule - door pillar probably)

Les.

I gotta agree with Les...

Good luck...

like i said, theres variation between the testers....testers wont want to go in depth of the rules to justify a pass - especially a snotty nosed kid thats trying to impress the gaffer...

theyre funny f**ckers and itll either pass or fail but for gods sake, let us know cos if it passes....their bookings for TDIs will rocket....lol

Rich