Two Ear Hose Clamps

I have a fresh water system in the 90 using 1/2" garden hose mostly and a Shurflo pump up to about 30psi. At the moment most of the joints are jubilee clips which work fine, but are untidy and skin your knuckles 'something tragic', so I am looking at re-engineering it all.

Has anyone experience of two ear clamps like this:

post-8892-0-34674100-1301934755_thumb.jpg

which are set using pincers ?

My main questions are:

Will they seal really well at the pressures I am looking at ?

Are they tolerant of slightly different hose diameters say between 12mm and 19mm , or will I need a range of clamp sizes ?

Are they easy to set (compared to a 12v electrical terminal crimp, for example) ?

When I make the inevitable c**k-up, can they be removed without sawing through the band (grind an ear off perhaps ?

Any other hints tips ?

All advice gratefully received.

Regards

Richard

Have a look at page 65 lpg section www.bes.co.uk fit these on air lines with no prob and on lpg fittings can just cut through crimped lug to remove far better than jub clips would recommend a proper set of pliers to nip up get a good tight crimp hope that helps andy

'O' CLIPS

Mild steel zinc plated 'O' clips, single ear or double ear. Single ear are generally for use where there is limited access.

Single Ear

Part No. Description Unit Price Qty

9640 8.5 mm single ear 'O' clip £0.15

9641 10.0 mm single ear 'O' clip £0.11

9642 11.0 mm single ear 'O' clip £0.11

9643 12.0 mm single ear 'O' clip £0.12

Double Ear

9645 1/4" (5-7 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.10

9646 5/16" (7-9 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.11

9647 3/8" (8-11 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.16

9648 7/16" (10-12 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.11

9649 1/2" (11-13 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.12

9650 9/16" (13-15 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.12

9651 19/32" (15-17 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.20

9652 5/8" (15-18 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.14

9653 3/4" (17-20 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.16

9655 7/8" (20-23 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.19

9656 15/16" (22-25 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.22

9657 1" (23-26 mm) double ear 'O' clip £0.38

'O' CLIP PINCERS

Front and Side Entry

Pincers for 'O' clips to close all the above 'O' clips. They will work from the front or side, depending on access available.

9658 Front and Side £6.20

Side Entry Only

Pincers for 'O' clips. Side opening only.

18372 Side Only £5.40

I wouldn't bother, I tried them on my oil cooler and they wept quite well, got them swaged on after a while, but then I just used them to get the truck running :)

Setting, for me, was putting the pincers in the vice, was the only way I got enough force to crimp them down properly.

Yes they are easily removed, cut vertically through the ear and they fall off.

They are pretty intolerant of pipe size, I don't remember too well, but the range was something like 16-19mm, i.e. small compared to hose clips.

Personally I would invest in some stainless hose clips and not have to do it again :)

I've used them lots. They will certainly work OK at 30psi - I use them on an airline at 6 - 8 bar. They work better with thicker hoses so there is some padding to distribute the crimp forces but the crucial thing is to use the right size clip for the pipe. When crimped, the bottoms of the 'ears' (closest to the pipe) need to meet (or near as) - if there is a significant gap in the band which forms the circumference around the pipe then the joint will leak.

I use a normal pair of nail pincers to set them. You can remove them by slicing through one of the ears with a large pair of side cutters, or sawing one of the ears off with a junior hacksaw.

Nick.

Richard, we use 10,000's of them at work, on all sorts of pipes and pressures up to 50 bar.

I will be in Minchinhampton sunday and can bring you a load up if you can wait till then.

What a very generous offer. Especially since I have just ordered a small bagful to give them a try ! I think we have family stuff on this weekend but if I can get some time on Sunday, I will pm you, pitmole, it would be good to meet up, as it seems like these things need a bit of care and exsperience to get them working well.

Thanks again

Richard

I wouldn't bother, I tried them on my oil cooler and they wept quite well, got them swaged on after a while, but then I just used them to get the truck running :)

Setting, for me, was putting the pincers in the vice, was the only way I got enough force to crimp them down properly.

Yes they are easily removed, cut vertically through the ear and they fall off.

They are pretty intolerant of pipe size, I don't remember too well, but the range was something like 16-19mm, i.e. small compared to hose clips.

Personally I would invest in some stainless hose clips and not have to do it again :)

obviously not fitting them correctly bowie,not really designed for oil cooler hoses,suggest you do a google search if you want a tutorial.

I had a good go with these ear clamps yesterday replacing jubilee clips which kept catching on things. As recommended I bought them from BES.

Every clip sealed tight and dry first time, very easy to use, so I think they are an excellent choice. Some points:

1. I bought a range of sizes and carefully matched the clip size to the joint

2. I bought the proper-job crimp tool (six quid odd), rather than improvise

3. You have to remember in a pipework setup that ear clips are permanent unlike jubilee clips, so once I have left some of the joints as jubilee clips so I can get the pipework apart again if needed. (Seems obvious now, but guess how I found out !)

Great idea, I wish I had used them ages ago

Thanks for the help

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I had variable success with these, essential to use the correct size, fitting two with the 'ears' at 90deg works every time, the second crimp seals the bit of the hose not quite crimped by the first clip. Regards Ian Ashcroft