MS1 v3- Mods to do whilst assmbling for MSextra & EDIS?

Quagmire

Right,

So i took the plunge and ordered a MS1 V3 kit from the US at the weekend. Over the last few weeks I have been doing copious amounts of reading around the subject, and as I am planning to run MSextra (used to be called MSnS?) I have been trying to figure out exactly what hardware mods are needed. This is where the confusion comes in.

Ideally I would like to build the board ready to run MSExtra and drive EDIS without having to remove components that are not needed/need to change when compared to the normal MS build.

So my question is. Do I follow the "normal" instructions in the megamanual for the V3 board as here:

Megamanual V3 board assembly

and then do the mods listed on MSExtra as listed here?

MSExtra EDIS mods

I think that the only part change on the build would be to change the value of R12 (Normal MS states 390 Ohm, MSExtra states 1k) and therefore install the larger value from the get go, also I would not need to install C30. The rest appears to be jumpering and the installation of a 750 Ohm resistor on the output side?

Also planning on the "TIP122" mod as described here to drive the idle valve, as well as map switching:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Hardware_Manual.htm#layout3

If someone could just give me a sanity check on this so that I know I am not barking up the wrong tree it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

:)

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my current best-effort of the mods, I've spent ages staring at the schematics & PCB layout to get everything as neat as possible. After some of the attempts I've seen / had in for repair :rolleyes: it's worth doing nicely.

You can replace Q16 with the TIP122 which makes things neat.

If you have a kit from DIYautotune you probably want to omit & bridge R36/R37 too as the TO220 resistors they send are rubbish and don't solder well.

• 1 month later...

My own (recent) experience is that following the megamanual build takes too long and gets confusing at the choices stage. Rather use the msextra build instructions, they are more up to date as well. But also take note if Fridge's build, it differs in layout to the msextra build slightly on the pwm side. Whether it is electrically the same or not I haven't figured out yet.

If I ever do this again, I could do it in 1/100th of the time.

BTW.. I did check both the schematics and with and multimeter. Your pwm idle mods are electrically they same as that in the msextra manual. I prefer yours as its neater and you don't have to amputate the TIP122. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my current best-effort of the mods

Dear Mr FF,

Can you send me your best effort too, I'm rebuilding a V3.0 MB I build a couple of yrs ago for my D90 but never had change to squirt her.... long story.... have PM'd you my email addy.

Cheers,

Andy

JS0 is the one I use.

I have it on JS2 at present but looking at the setup screen in MT then JS0 seems a better way to go. Got a big bag of bits today from Digikey, just waiting for the loom to come from DIYAutotune then I can get the MS built into it's NEMA box for some weather protection.

Thx,

Andy