LT230 1.2 Transfer box

Les Brock

Ok I give up,

Finally I have had to admit defeat for once in my life :angry:

I just cannot get the transfer box cross drilled gear back into place, i've twisted, rotated and removed just about everything but I cannot get the fuppin thing in !

I've even taken the bluddy transfer box off and it simply will not align back up and drop back into the bearing race without being at an angle and not meshing correctly.

So i'm obviously doing something completely wrong :unsure:

HELP ! ;)

Is it bolted to an auto box? Has it been fitted to the autobox before?

In which case there are two output shafts to the box, one with longer splines which is the one you need to be able to install the cross-drilled input gear. An autobox from a car without a cross-drilled input will have the wrong output shaft, and need replacing -you should be able to do this in situ, as the output shaft is held on with just one bolt in the end of it.

Ashcrofts normally hold these in stock, but also available from many other places (somehow I remembered the part number off the top of my head!):

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=47

If that's not your problem, then ignore me :)

IIRC it will only go in on a 1.2 box in a couple of positions (out of an entire rotation of the gearbox) where the teeth exactly line up on the intermediate gear to slide the input gear through. Trial and error I think :)

Hi Les, assuming you have the correct input gear, ie same tooth count/tooth width etc as the original. Turn the intermed gear to a position where the middle/rear gears teeth are in line and opposite the input shaft, only one position, the input gear will prob not enter as the output shaft spline is now out of line. Apply a pressure to the input gear and rotate the intermediate gear a little each way to align the input shaft spline, no more than 1/2 a spline either way or the gear teeth will jam. Just takes a little patience, make sure you put the gear in the right way round, sounds daft but yes we have seen some fitted the wrong way. If its an auto you can take a file and file the corners off the spline to create a lead in for the gear spline. Hope this helps. Ian Ashcroft

Thanks for the replies...

I'm still having no luck :(

Ian I take it then there is only one position throughout the whole rotation where the teeth are exactly in line ?

Yep right way, I'm trying to fit the underdrive so it will only go in one way !

Box is 28D suffex E

Hi not sure what 28D E is exactly, I know its a 1.222 box but not sure about the input gear tooth count. The last batch of U/drives I made all had 26 tooth output gears, did you count the teeth on the input gear you removed?? could be a 28tooth gear, please check. There is no issue with the spline alignment when installing the U/Drive as the shaft is installed after the gear shaft. Let me know what the tooth count is. Regards ian Ashcroft

Ian,

Many thanks for the reply found this on the interweb -

"high gear on diff and intermediate cluster and input if 1.2 is 28 tooth input gear as defenders are 26 and disco 28 after e suffix low gear same in all"

As this is a suffex E it might well be the problem !

Will find out the full number and check the input gear

Regards

Les

Hi Les quick check for a 28 tooth gear, run your finger nail along the top of the middle gear (intermediate cluster), if you feel a groove, notch, 'tell tale' approx central along the tooth its a 28tooth box. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Ian,

Dont even need to look, I spent so long trying to get this to fit, that I can remember that notch !

That would explain it all ! :rolleyes:

At least its not me be totally inept ! :P

Pity its no good for me as its in superb condition !,

Many thanks for you input :i-m_so_happy:

Regards

Les

Ian,

The plot thickens lol

Just to double check, I went and checked all the input gears all 3 I have and the under drive are 26 tooth.

the intermediate gear has a"notch" in every tooth, I'll post a picture tomorrow as I can get it off the SD card on this laptop :(

Regards

Les

Heres some pictures,

This one showing what I'm thinking is the notch you mention Ian ?

IMG_0693_resize.jpg

Serial number if it will help shed any light on if it is indeed a 28tooth as per my previous post all the input gear i have are 26 tooth :blink:

IMG_0690_resize.jpg

Thanks

Regards

Les

Heres some pictures,

This one showing what I'm thinking is the notch you mention Ian ?

IMG_0693_resize.jpg

Serial number if it will help shed any light on if it is indeed a 28tooth as per my previous post all the input gear i have are 26 tooth :blink:

IMG_0690_resize.jpg

Thanks

Regards

Les

this transfer case had a 28 tooth gear, thats why the underdrive will not fit,

note upto 28D308626E is 26 tooth,

from 309143E to 551442F is 28 tooth,

Dave

Many Thanks Dave :)

At least I know why I was struggling now :ph34r:

Still no idea why all the input gears I have are 26 tooth tho including the one that came out of it ?, which is why I kept tryng to get it to fit :lol:

Someone , some where must have the opposite ! :P