congestion charges rise again!

they wittered on about this on BBC news yesterday; it is a proposal by Ken; needs to be approved and at earliets won't take effect utill 2008; there's a council(?) election before that so Londoners will have their say as to whether they like what Ken is doing.

What is more worrying is this may be a precedent for other parts of the country to discriminate, and basically that's all it is against, as usually incorrectly stated 4x4, higher polluing vehicles.

Can't see the problem for most of us - our vehicles are not the most polluting anyway compared to some of the exec sports cars you see around. Most LR's are also smaller and even lighter than many of those, so they can't have us on that one either unless they introduce a height tax :blink:

Also, presumably they will only be able to use official CO2 figures which have only been around for what, 5 years? So - if your vehicle is older than 5 years how will they decide?

Was the usual unbiased reporting from the BBC too - lots of photos of chelsea tractors and they interviewed a load of school run mums to gauge opinion :huh:

If it gets tw*ts in shiny 4x4 mummy mobiles to think twice and maybe buy a people carrier instead then I'm all for it, perhaps then they won't be such a blight on our reputation :angry: plus there'll be a glut of cheap RR Sports and Disco3's on the market in a few years time for us to play with :D

arrrggghhhhh Fridge, don't give the anti's ideas about introducing a height tax.....

Wasn't paying too much attention but didn't think the BBcC reporting was that but showed Ken ranting on about high polluting vehicles that the BBC then translated into 4x4 :angry:

Even a height tax wouldn't affect us too badly, look at vans, people carriers, trucks, etc... and most taxis are higher than a "normal" car, I can't see taxi drivers liking that - london would grind to a halt!

I saw the London "local" news 'cos I still haven't set my digibox for BBC South and it defaults to London. And their newsreader girl is a bit easier on the eye than the local one :D

^^^ what he said. Ideally we'd have a tax system which incentivised using a small non-polluting vehicle for town driving and an economic larger car for inter-urban driving, or just (as London has) a decent public transport system. Then you can combine driving whatever you like outside town with using the tube/buses inside the city. The only real driver for all this will be a punitive tax system so Red Ken gets my vote.

Guest diesel_jim

And we should still be able to drive our 12 seater 110 SW's in London for free!!!! :D:D:D

God this government is a total and utter pile of sh*te!!!!

OT.... anyone hear Bliar yeasterday "defending" the Americans for extraditing those 3 businessmen?

jeez that man is spineless when it comes to defending us but happy to cave in to everyone else!! :angry::angry::angry:

^^^ what he said. Ideally we'd have a tax system which incentivised using a small non-polluting vehicle for town driving and an economic larger car for inter-urban driving, or just (as London has) a decent public transport system. Then you can combine driving whatever you like outside town with using the tube/buses inside the city. The only real driver for all this will be a punitive tax system so Red Ken gets my vote.

All very well in theory.

I live about ½ mile outside the Congestion Charging boundary. I walk to work every day.If I want to cross London when I have a day off during the week to go and visit my folks, I either have to stump up the Congestion Charge or do a massive detour via the M25 (and the M25 isn't exactly on my doorstep either!) :(

I pay £95 a year to Islington Council for the possibility of parking in my own street! Just to make it worse the Residents Parking Scheme only allows one car per household so buying a 2nd ("greener") car is not an option.

If I want to cross London when I have a day off during the week to go and visit my folks, I either have to stump up the Congestion Charge or do a massive detour via the M25

... or use public transport?

"I/they don't live near a bus stop or tube/train station, and it's expensive" is usually the response, but in London you benefit from an excellent transport network and it's usually ignorance or personal inertia (in the nicest possible way) which stops people from using buses. People spend a lot of time telling me that they don't use buses in Bristol because they don't know where they go. They don't want to know when I try to tell them either, mind, but they want everyone else to catch them so they can use a clear road in their car.

As I see it, the only way to force modal shift is to provide a viable alternative then punitively tax the current solution. The issue that most of the UK outside London has is that the deregulated market does not provide that viable solution, it has the cheapest/leanest/most profitable network.

(Can you guess that I work in public transport? :))

... or use public transport?

My folks live in West Sussex! It is easier to cross London rather than go around it! If it was the other side of London you might have a point! :P

Yes there are trains, but I can hardly go back on the train with loads of fresh veggies from the farm shop can I? (I tend to stock up!)

Just get out of the city chap. I have parking for three Land Rovers on the drive, have fields out the back that I can play in any time, with either the trucks or the guns (or both with a little lamp). The only congestion I get is if I get a cold. Cities? Pah!

Just get out of the city chap. I have parking for three Land Rovers on the drive, have fields out the back that I can play in any time, with either the trucks or the guns (or both with a little lamp). The only congestion I get is if I get a cold. Cities? Pah!

Completely agree... I live in a fairly rural area and would now never return to a large town/city environment. If anything, I intend to go much further north later in life... as it seems the further from "the city" (like it's the only one!!) you go, the nicer I find our country is!

Let the lying-scumbag*ahem* right-honourable politicians keep London and its various foibles to themselves; they're frankly quite welcome to it.

My long term plan is to move to rural Worcestershire, but for the moment a hefty mortgage and a job tie to to the smoke.

Until then I'll have to either drive across London early in the morning or late at night to reach the forest where I have permission to camp or to go and visit my relatives on a weekday.