truetrac swap ??

inchman

Apparently you remove the side gears, flip them over and re install to change the direction of rotation (from one axle to another). To set preload, I'm not sure how that is done properly on the truetrac diff, so I'll leave to the experts.

Todd.

Don't think there will be any preload as its not a limited slip diff....

In a previous thread a few weeks ago Ian Ashcroft made a comment that the preload is different for the front and rear diff's on Truetrac's, where as Ashcroft LSD are set equally. To be honest I was left wondering by his comment and would hope that he jumps in anytime and enlighten me/us. ;)

I'm not sure how you would set the preload on a diff that has a few gears that sit in their individual pockets? Is it just a matter of tightening the casing bolts more ???

Todd.

im running truetrac front and rear ...i like them but keep thinking about ashcrofts new locker for the rear..

luke

Same here!

But with that said, I drove the same trials last weekend that I had to winch myself last year. The added traction from the truetrac's and how it comes on basically seamless really does make a difference....Those new lockers from Brazil are nice though.... ;)

Todd.

Same here!

But with that said, I drove the same trials last weekend that I had to winch myself last year. The added traction from the truetrac's and how it comes on basically seamless really does make a difference....Those new lockers from Brazil are nice though.... ;)

Todd.

Tuko i saw you youtube video the other day all four turning and going no where......lucky..... because you were filming....then in reverse...lol...nice demo.... :D

luke

Same here!

Todd.

Those Brazilian lockers seem to operate the same way as a Detroit No Spin (i.e. always locked and hope it unlocks when cornering on tarmac), just a different explanation to make them appear a bit more fancy.

I have installed a set of Ashcroft Airlockers in my P38a this weekend (originally considered TrueTracs), haven't tried them yet, but build quality is excellent!

Hi I hope that link was useful, the preload is set by the 'dished thrust washers' and causes a drag on the sun gear as you do when applying a 'left foot brake' and this in turn loads the pocket gears. Note the truetrac only has 3 sets of gears, most others including ours have 6 sets of gears. In real terms this means the Truetrac has only half the bias potential of the 6 pocket designs. I really don't understand how changing the helical gears in their pockets changes anything, the thrust direction is still the same as the helix direction has not changed. As described in the previous article even when the opposite helix angle is used there is little difference to the torque bias or friction generated.

Back to the original question I would have no problem installing a front truetrac in the rear, just means left foot braking to preload the diff. Within a relatively short time the 'extra' rear preload is lost anyway and then the rear could be used in the front with no detriment. Where these ATB diff come out clearly ahead is when used with ATC, the ATC brakes the spinning wheel, engages the ATB and away you go.

Hope that has been of some help. Regards Ian AShcroft

Hi Gary tried to find truetrac,swap,front,rear on Disco web, no luck please can you give me a link. Regards Ian Ashcroft

for all the replies, i found a "How to swap your true trac from fron to rear" on discoweb.

cheers Gary