switching back to a V8 after diesel

thinking of changing out the 200tdi in my 110 and going back to a V8.

the truck is an 1988 110 and was originally a petrol.last guy put the tdi in mated to the original lt77.my question can the same gearbox be bolted up to an RV8.can't afford to go R380 so hopefully mine will bolt up.

thinking of putting in an injected/MS/MJ 3.9 running on gas.

as usual,any and all comments most welcome

An LT77 and a adapter plate is none too bad a unit, better, and the strong

A R380 is poss best 5 speed - and defo has the nicer gearchange than

the other option of the LT85, which IMHO is slightly stronger than the R380 but a more tractory gearchange.

Don't rule out either a T727 3 speed auto, or a 4 speed ZF, 3 speed torqueflight is legendary for strength,

but needs BHP to make it smooth and it spas some power, but is far easier to DIY fix than a 4 speed swiss watch

3.9 serp is still IMHO the best V8 LR ever made, better than 4.6 for many reasons

HTH

Nige

Nige,

i had an LT77 on my last V8(200bhp+ 3.9) and it coped really well on and off road.This won't be used off road now as i'm building a trayback for playing in so will get an easy life.

Do you know who makes an adapter plate?

also reckon your knowledge will be asked upon for the MS/MJ install.

Reckon it will be a 3.9 unless i come across a 4.2 cheap enough.

cheers

Ralph

i would have thought they would have had the same splines.pretty sure they're 23 spline from what i can remember from when i had my V8 90 with Defender V8 LT77.

would need to know the distance from the face of the gearbox to the outer edge of the bellhousing.looks like it may be a call to Ashcrofts.

If you're going for road use, why not just use an RR/Disco autobox?

Bolts straight up, less tiring to drive, smoother for all concerned :)

it is an option but a bit on the boring side imho.plus there will be a change in propshafts or at least the front one.

My principle whenever doing mods is to always use the most-recent parts available, if only because this means if anything fails in the future you're going to be able to source replacement-parts with the least hassle. To me, vehicle-off-road means lost-income/lost-fun.

Remember that a petrol-V8 is much more rev-happy and rather lower-in-torque than a current-generation turbodiesel: as well as choosing your gearbox [i'd suggest a R380] you may need to re-ratio the transfer-box to get the revs back up. For optimum efficiency, try to gear things so your preferred cruise-speed has the engine turning at half-way between peak-torque and peak-power RPM. Terminal-velocity should be at about 10% beyond peak-power RPM (so if you come to a hill/hit a headwind that slows you, the engine drops back towards peak-power RPM).

well at the moment in the garage i already have.

autobox from 3.9 classic

1.6 transfer

1.2 transfer

RRC BW transfer

would still prefer a manual tho really.just saw a Def V8 R380 go on ebay for £250

I have to agree re the Autobox - a mate in the past has lent me his 50th anniversary 90 - and its just a little, well, dull, not being a able to stir the porridge. The v8 sounds great, but for an everyday truck I'd prefer a torquey diesel. I may be in a minority here though :-)

Also, on a 'run' up the motorway, even with LPG the rate which it drinks go-juice is astonishing!

i reckon fuel wise it would probably equate to the same price as running the truck on diesel.

i reckon there will be enough torque in a 3.9 V8.there was definatley enough pwr/torque in my last V8 90.

and you can't beat the sound of a V8 going through the gears.it definatley sounds better than a rattley old diesel.

nowt like talking yourself into it. :D