V8 Gurus- quick question

orangebean

V8 Rocker Covers- mystery tin plates!

Finally on the last legs of the 3.5 Vitesse efi rebuild. Supplied with the "rebuilt" engine which I've rebuilt again were a pretty pair of powder coated rocker covers. The manky covers on the old 3.5 efi engine had a tin plate fixed inside each- one half plate, held in with 4 screws and in the other, a full-length plate held in with 8. The new covers have none, but have pre-drilled holes where the plates could mount with a bit of tweaking.

What purpose, if any, do the plates serve? They seem kind of irrelevant, but, no doubt, have some arcane purpose to do with moon phase vapour adjustment or something.

I'm tempted to leave them out but will bow to the considerably greater experience out there for advice.

Thanks in advance

Edit- actually quite a long winded question, but hopefully won't require a long answer

I've just read your first post again, and i agree with what i said.

On the older engines, there was a little tin plate bolted to the top of the rockers - about 5" long, it sat under the breather.

In the newer rocker covers, they have the plate made into them. Hence nothing on the rockers.

I run early rocker covers on mine due to their shape allowing me to fit my alternator better and have bolted the splash guards onto the rockers.

G