Poor starting after inlet mods

Jim Bob

I really cant be bothered with your taunts - it seems you have little to offer in the way of help with this problem,except the standard "Fit it with Megasquirt".

No wonder this forum is so stale and lacking funds if thats all anyone gets told.Anyone saying anything different just gets slated or mocked - very clever.

Jim,how well does your engine run once its started and warmed up ? Does it show any consistent running faults,stuttering/misfires etc ? What state is the ignition system in generally and has anyone looked at coolant or fuel temp sensor values measured at the ecu plug or seen as live data via Testbook ?It is also not unknown for the main ecu load relay and the fuel pump relay to play around.Corrosion on their terminals or burnt contacts have both been seen.As already suggested the fuel pressure ought to be checked,with the engine static and running.

Re my prev comment about more air gouing in on start up, bear in mind that the plenum butterfly will be 99.9% closed

on cranking, but will open on firing as RPM lifts from cranking say 200+/1 to running say 800 and if its weak (as this I think

maybe - then it could be this or at least will add to any other issue.

It may also be worth checking the rail pressure, there can be quite a varinace, and when it then goes to a lower value 1 psi less can

then be the difference between starting and not.

I think this really should be parked with them to sort, the situation your in is like paying for a private operation,

then be told in the theatre as you come around that the surgeon who did the operation can't finish it as the sticher isn't in.

The sevice your getting is frankly not good enough - they should pay Mark Adams to sort if they have to, its not your

problem that they have a staff issue, I would kick up big time

Nige

PS AllyV8 - The forum isn't 'lacking' in funds at all.

Thanks to the generousity of over 170+ members, some "Supporting" some with Standing Orders and others with just

a few pounds to say "Thanks", and some donating part sale proceeds, and some all sales proceeds means we are in

good shape thankyou :angry:

LR4x4 Treasurer

except the standard "Fit it with Megasquirt".

As opposed to your standard "fit it with widebands" which gains you the ability to see more accurately the inadequacies of the existing system rather than the ability to actually improve anything. I know where I'd rather spend £300 on any given RV8.

Hi Everyone

When the car was placed with JE they undertook the following:

Task 1 - The car had a problem in as much as the idle, whilst the vehicle was in motion, was about 1800rpm which caused a problem if I was trying

to negotiate traffic in a built up area as 1800 in second or third gear produced quite a speed, (the only way I could moderate the speed was to constantly dip the clutch). Once the car came to a halt, the idle dropped down to around 900rpm. The stepper motor was replaced but this did not resolve the problem so JE suggested that the problem was that the ECU was mapped for a 3.9 litre (not the 3.5 to which it was mated) and so was overfuelling at idle. I do not know what JE did to rectify the problem but the problem has now abated.

Task 2 - JE relocated the LPG ECU from the engine bay to the cabin.

Task 3 - JE supplied and fitted an enlarged plenum and 45mm trumpets and relocated the stepper motor from the bulkhead side of the plenum to the offside. (there are no obvious leaks on the plenum, AFM, vacuum pipes etc)

Task 4 - As the ignition circuit included a non Lucas coil and distributor, JE suggested that keeping the ignition set up as near to standard as possible would make the car more reliable and easier to diagnose faults in the future. They fitted a Lucas PRC6574 coil, an ADU7242L suppressor and a ERR4738 distributor.

All in all, this work cost me £2400 and as I said, the car was returned running like a dog on petrol and with very poor starting. It was returned to JE and they changed the timing to get the car running on petrol (to 10 degrees BTDC) but to my frustration, the poor starting remained.

Once warm , the car runs really well but during the warming up period, it is a little hesitant. Other than this problem the car runs really well and as it is serviced every 3000 miles or so I would say that for a 30 year old car it is in really good condition. There is a fuel pressure regulator fitted to the fuel rail (FSE FPG002) and fuel pressure is good.

I agree that JE should put it right and I am suprised that a company with such a great reputation is floundering a little. Like I said, I have every faith they will put it right eventually as they have a legal as well as a moral obligation to do so. I really do not like confrontation at all so I hope that JE do the right thing.

Regarding feedback from you all, I am very grateful and I dont want people falling out over it. It is only a car after all!!

I have written to JE and asked them what they propose to do. I guess I will have to wait and see if their reputation is justified.

Thanks again

as for the problem you have it sounds like the basics have been unset so start with checking the timing and once running reset the base idle even a under tunned poorly set ecu should be able to be started then tunned to run.

major concern here is the extreme tuning to the 3.5 all the work done to the heads and it still has a major bore shrouding problem so a lot of your money has been for nought!

running a 3.5 with a 3.9 ecu will not cause any major problems as the hotwire will adpt to the less air entering the engine and fuel accordingly.

did you have a road speed transducer fitted when you fitted the hotire injection system?

have you a manual resister in the loom so the ecu knows it is a manual?

what faults have you got in the injection ecu?

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly yes, the base idle is the idle setting without he stepper motor open and should be around 600rpm off the top of my head, the stepper thasn open to bring it up to 800-850. Some "people" tinker with it to cure idle problems. If you know anyone with Rovacom you can watch all the hot wire parameters including the stepper position, lambda and fuel pulse etc.

Just for the sake of it, try disconnecting the MAF and start it up.

• 1 month later...

After much back and forth the problem has been solved!

In the early days, JE suggested the problem lay with the ECU / fuelling and proposed an £1800 upgrade and dyno set up but I wasn't convinced it was fuelling as the problem was there irrespective of whether LPG or petrol was selected.

Heeding the advice given on this forum, I earthed the ignition circuit out through a spare plug, and immediately, the problem was obvious; there was no spark at first but after a few revolutions of the engine, a spark appeared and the engine fired. This isolated the problem to the ignition circuit but which part was unclear. The car was sent back to JE with this diagnosis and they investigated the problem and reported back today that it was a faulty coil!!

Remember this post?

"Task 4 - As the ignition circuit included a non Lucas coil and distributor, JE suggested that keeping the ignition set up as near to standard as possible would make the car more reliable and easier to diagnose faults in the future. They fitted a Lucas PRC6574 coil, an ADU7242L suppressor and a ERR4738 distributor."

I / we were misled by the original diagnosis that the mods to the plenum and inlet tract had caused a fuelling problem. If I had placed less faith in brand new components from Lucas then I would have saved myself a whole lot of hassle; so much for "keeping the ignition set up as near to standard as possible [making] the car more reliable and easier to diagnose faults in the future"!!!

This just goes to reinforce the old (and wise) advice to eliminate the simple and most obvious faults first before jumping to complex and expensive solutions!

Thanks everyone for your advice on this one, I am much obliged!!