SVA, how tough is it?

stuck

Hi all,

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this but can't find an answer...

Thinking of building a hybrid from a 4.6 P38, obviously SVA would apply, is it as scary as it sounds or are they just ensuring your build is road worthy?

Cheers,

Mick.

roadworthy/safe & complies with the required construction & use regs,

Have a read of these before starting/buying any vehicle or parts

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/SVA%20Guide%20Jan%202011.pdf

https://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/IVA_Information_Guide_V3_0111.pdf

there's a lots of SVA/IVA info in here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showforum=31

It costs 500.00 smackers for a start. I would not personally go down that line again. It is very different to a mot in that everything is checked even speedometer calibration. Wheel alignment measurements and a whole host of stuff I'd never seen anyone check before. They even made me take my spare wheel off because when the back door was open the offside rear lights were obscured. Then he made me take off the spare wheel carrier because it was a sharp. Object protruding from the vehicle. Then there's all the daft EU rules like having stickers on the various reservoirs identifying the contents. Noooo never again. I haven't mentioned Dvla. Christ. Q plate insurance. Where's my whisky

How do you qualify as a commercial vehicle particularly if it is a hybrid or trayback?

I took my Dakar through SVA (now IVA). Passed on second attempt. First test took 8 hours. Came away with an age related plate.

Steve

I took it for an VIC check first and was never given a choice. It just escalated from there. If I knew then what I now know I would do it completely differently. Perhaps rear windows in back made it a passenger vehicle. Mine was classed as a radically altered production vehicle.

To classify as a commercial it must have a load carrying area, separate from the passenger compartment

To pass the SVA its relatively easy, but you must have built it to a good standard at least

No lights to check tho