Access to fule pump on TD5 Truck Cab

It's not difficult to drop the tank if it is almost empty, the difficulty is emptying the tank without the pump to do the work. There is no drain plug, as you will find out. The easy way is to cut a hole in the floor (ready for when the next pump fails :( ). I think there is a template or measurements of where to make the hole on this forum somewhere.

You'll find that if you cut a hatch, you'll have to cut through the floor supports as well which I wasn't prepared to do.

Two of you can drop it out if you remove the exhaust tailpipe section, then unbolt the tray which actually sits inside the brackets. You might find it helpful to remove the rear tub to rr x member bolts as the tank is squashed between cradle and tub floor.

Wiggle the tank and tray forwards an inch or 2 until you can slip the tray out of the brackets while supporting the tank. The tank should then drop on the nearside and you can ease it out. Obviously empty is better than the 55 litres that I had in mine !

Don't forget to disconnect the fuel filler before you start :)

HTH

Mo

Be sure to unplug the suction and return lines before you lower the tank, they are quite rigid (plastic coated copper) and the plastic lift pump/sender/filter housing will snap where they plug in when stressed. Here in NZ that's a $1300 replacement item, so got to be GBP 400.00 to you.

Ray.

Do you unplug them at the tank or the filter?

Borrowing pix from that other thread, I've added a crude yellow circle to show where they must be unplugged. That's the top of the in-tank filter housing which also contains the lift pump and sender. It's hellish expensive and the sockets for the lines are fragile. You've pretty much got to sneak your hand in over the cross member and under the tray!

Ray.

post-27266-0-38485500-1307186259_thumb.jpg

nice one chaps, in my case would lifting the rear tub up not be easier (also not to keen on cutting the rails.)

I wouldn't have thought so, it's still a lot of work to get at the fuel pump and unless you remove it completely you probably won't have enough height to withdraw the pump unit from the tank.

Mo