Please please help, I have broken my dad's car.

tonko007

Hi all again

Can you please help me.

While out at a car boot sale in a field. I thought it would engage the diff lock as it had not been used in a while. After a couple of attempts i finally got it in never had ant problems before but hey. Anyway just before getting onto the main foad i tried to put in in the unlocked position and it was rock solid went up to low range and neutral but would not slide across. Have i proper buggred it or is it an easy fix plz plz help many thanks paul

Yep, I'd second what Quagmire says... if it goes into lock it'll probably come out again with some wiggling, but if you reverese at a fair pace then try it'll come out easier. Better still, reverse in a field to allow a little tyre slip!

Scott

Hi, Agree with the WD40 but my old 200tdi did the same thing and turned out to be the clevis pin having worked loose having lost its retaining clip. You'll see if it's this whilst your underneath with your can of WD40

Regards :rolleyes:

Diff lock has seized solid a couple of times on my 3.9 V8. After trying all the forward/reverse tricks I ended-up stripping out all the centre console in the cab to expose the top of the selector box, then simply forcing the lever back into place. Second time I had to use a gentle tap with the sledge hammer: the end of the horizontal selector pin (sorry - not very technical) had siezed in the left hand side of the box. Having done it all once and thought it was sorted for ever, the second time I drowned the whole shebang in transmission fluid before reassembly. Now I make a point of engaging and disengaging whilst driving at least once a week (making sure I'm on a straight bit of road) to keep it all free and happy. So far so good.