Head gasket confusion

I have a spare 200Tdi engine that has undergone a serious renovation. The machine shop, that really didn't know exactly what they were doing, also skimmed the block. Now I need the thickest headgasket in the range. <_<

I have found two part numbers listed - ERR7154 and LVB500230. The latter is stated as "multi shim steel" at LRDirect while LRSeries just states that ERR7154 has been superseeded by this one.

So, which one should I go for? :unsure:

I have a spare 200Tdi engine that has undergone a serious renovation. The machine shop, that really didn't know exactly what they were doing, also skimmed the block. Now I need the thickest headgasket in the range. <_<

I have found two part numbers listed - ERR7154 and LVB500230. The latter is stated as "multi shim steel" at LRDirect while LRSeries just states that ERR7154 has been superseeded by this one.

So, which one should I go for? :unsure:

Nether

Go into a land rover dealer and ask for a 200 tdi gasket and the one with the most holes and they will give you the thickest one. They are pretty cheap gen

Last time I bought one they were £14

The black coated single piece gasket has been superseded by Land Rover with a three layer, all metal pressed gasket. It should still be available with the thickness variants like the older type. It's a much better gasket, both for sealing slightly uneven surfaces and for resisting blowing, like the old style was prone to doing behind the 4th cylinder on 300Tdis (same gaskets for both Tdi variants). The Rover K-series engines that continually blew head gaskets also had the black covered single piece type. They're really not very good and few manufacturers still use that type. So, if you have the choice, go for the laminated one.

The thickest gasket is the three-holer. Although I have heard rumours (maybe on this forum somewhere) that there is a thicker one with NO holes. I don't really believe that.

Send a PM to Les Henson and he will tell you where you can get steel shim gaskets to use with an existing gasket if you really need them.

The thickest gasket is the three-holer. Although I have heard rumours (maybe on this forum somewhere) that there is a thicker one with NO holes. I don't really believe that.

Send a PM to Les Henson and he will tell you where you can get steel shim gaskets to use with an existing gasket if you really need them.

there is a list of part numbers & sizes/hole numbers in the Tech Archive, right here

I don't think you can get the no-hole gasket from a dealer. The no-hole gasket is available from after market suppliers though, and I have one here, but it's the composite type. As you have had the deck and head skimmed, then you have a perfecr surface for the MLS gasket, and I would use that if I were you. I suggest you measure piston protrusion though, as some engines come with a 3-hole gasket as standard, so 0.1mm 'spare' for the thickest gasket.

Les.

Yup, I have measured and found it necessary to have the thickest gasket. Thanks to the numpty that skimmed it a bit too much. Even though I told him to be really careful. :rolleyes: I think I saw somewhere that they are listed for 300 Tdi only.

Yup, I have measured and found it necessary to have the thickest gasket. Thanks to the numpty that skimmed it a bit too much. Even though I told him to be really careful. :rolleyes: I think I saw somewhere that they are listed for 300 Tdi only.

Defender 200Tdi engine section in my workshop manual only list 1,2 & 3 hole for a 200Tdi, no mention of a no hole gasket, that's only for 30Tdi as you've seen