300tdi won't rev miss fire and blue smoke

tel

Hi guys

Cars a 1996 disco 300 tdi, im Currently in Wales with my truck for some Seven sisters off roading. car drove from London to Wales without fault. Yesterday while on site it refused to rev above 3k and would loose all boost pressure and start to miss fire and puff blue smoke, pulled over made some checks we figured the turbo had gone. We decide to try and limp it back to the hotel and it starts to drive fine again on the way out the site untill we get to the main road then it starts to cough and splutter again then cuts out, I try and start it again it turns over for a while then starts buts running on 3 cylinders I give it a rev and it clears then Ticks over again fine. Got a tow back to the hotel and stripped the boost pipes off no play in the turbo and no major oil in the turbo elbow pipe, put it all together again and took it for a spin, and all seems fine again had my mate take it for a spin aswell and no problems for him either. So took it back to the site thinking ok well if its gone its gone but it drove all afternoon without fault which was great till the end of the day when we get back on the main road to head back to the hotel and it starts to the the same all over again so had to get towed back to the hotel again. It only seems to start messing around when the engine is under heavy load as the first time it did it was on a long uphill slope on the way out of seven sisters site. Car had a new air filter and fuel filter before I left and they both aren't blocked now either. Please help on things I can check to fix it and sorry for the long post.

Smells like a busted lift pump to me..... will run ok when not under load or needing more fuel, but struggles when more fuel is needed....... thats purely a guess, but thats where i would start!

That's the first thing I was going to change when I get it home tomorrow as they are so cheap

For what its worth I'd check out your fuel filter and possible change it too. I had some similar problems on my 200tdi, after changeing the lift pump and chacking all the lines etc, changeing the fuel filter ended up sorting it.

Don't some of the lift pumps have a small gauze filter in the top of the pump housing? I've seen at offroad events people struggling like this, they then remove and clean this filter and away they go again.

Worth a look see

Right got it taken home by the AA to my mates house so thought sod it try drive it back to mine (10mins away) to see what happens and it drove home perfect, so well and truly confused now

I've ordered the lift pump should be here today checked the fuel filter again all looks good going to do the timing belt later just so I can have a lookski inside, problem is I'm supposed to be taking it to Cornwall next sat and at the sec just don't trust it, is the sedementer serviceable?

Started doing the timing belt last night and checked all the usuals the bottom strockets not worn and the woodruff key is fine so peace of mind for me knowing alls well there, still waiting for the lift pump to turn up. im going to put another new fuel filter on it as it's a britpart one on there at the sec and just don't trust it.