NAS spec Lights

I'm going to be putting a new rear tub and seatbox on my 90 next weekend and was considering fitting NAS spec lights to the rear at the same time.

My rear lights have taken a bit of a battering and the bulb holders aren't great so was going to buy a full set of standard Wipac rear lights but the NAS spec ones are only £15 more for the set.

Dad has them on his 90 and they are pretty bright but just wondered what they are like in general?

Are they well built or do they often have problems and is it worth fitting them over standard ones?

Thanks, Harry

I have a mixture of standard Defender and NAS lights on the back of my 109 and the NAS ones are much better - they don't get condensation and the consequent flora and fungi that the standard lenses collect and seem to disperse the light over a wider viewing angle while being brighter. Why LR continue with the older design in Europe I don't know...

I have a mixture of standard Defender and NAS lights on the back of my 109 and the NAS ones are much better - they don't get condensation and the consequent flora and fungi that the standard lenses collect and seem to disperse the light over a wider viewing angle while being brighter. Why LR continue with the older design in Europe I don't know...

Hi, are the NAS lights you like Wipac?

Nigel

Fitted genuine (Le Perei) NAS lights to my 90 11-years ago and they have been fine.

The fronts that get exposed to a lot of sunlight crazed & cracked after 6-years or so and were replaced. About 2-years ago I replaced them all with the Le Perei full LED NAS lights and these are even better (not to be confused withan LED bulb conversion or the ones sold by BOB). The bulb holders in the standard ones are prone to corroding over time but brand-new replacements are just over £1 each so that really isn't an issue.

I take it you are aware that you will need to drill the body to make them fit nicely? While you are at it consider adding an additional fog & reversing light as it makes the rear look more balanced with a full set of eight rather than just six. Some people struggle to make a side-hinged carrier fit with NAS lights but that is down to the type of carrier (do you have one?). I have a WH one and it fits fine with the full set.

REARNOREG.jpg

If you are going to fit NAS lights, try and get the Perei ones rather than the wipac ones. the difference in quality is worth the hassle.

Personally, I have NAS lights on the back, and std on the front. Mainly for aesthetics, but the back ones are definitely more visible!

Mark

Thanks everyone, NAS lights it is :D

Litch, dad has the same light layout as you and the mantec swing away is a very tight fit!

Is there anywhere I can buy a set of perei ones from? I have found odd ones but not even a place that stocks the whole range.

Also what size hole is required to fit them?

Obviously a hole saw will jump around because the existing hole is too big to hold the centre drill bit, but could I use one of those cone-shaped step cutters on a drill?

Thanks for all the advice so far :D

Plenty of places stock the Le Perei ones, it is just that the Wipac ones cost slightly less although there isn't much in it. I bought my original ones as genuine LR parts and they weren't very expensive. If you really don't want the Wipac ones then your best option is to check with the various suppliers and see which ones they sell. There are also places like Dun-Bri or even your local commercial motor-factors, they are used on all sorts of vehicles (lorrys, vans, coaches, motorcaravans, caravans, trailers etc) so are widely available.

The centre-hole is the same size as the existing lights but I seem to recall that the off-set is sufficient for the pilot to be in solid metal. You can use the BOB plinth which avoids re-drilling but I am not the greatest fan as it means the light is very slightly proud of the bodyline although it is better than not drilling and just using the normal plinth which looks awful.

Obviously a hole saw will jump around because the existing hole is too big to hold the centre drill bit, but could I use one of those cone-shaped step cutters on a drill?

Hi

I centered the new plinth over the existing hole and screwed it on, then used that as a guide for the hole saw, then tidied the sides with a dremel.

HTH

Rick

Thank you for all the help, in the end I bought a set of wipac because they were on offer at my local landy place for a full set including the converter plugs.

I started stripping down my replacement rear tub yesterday and it has the later 2-screw rear lights, and it looks like the holes are a lot bigger so I don't need to cut out the rear ones :) just connect up the wiring as my 90 is a 1989 with the earlier type lights and no converter plugs :D

Thanks, Harry

You can (have someone) stick a block of wood behind the body that you can use for centering the drill of the holesaw.

That is how I did my rear fog and reversing ones.

Thank you for all the help, in the end I bought a set of wipac because they were on offer at my local landy place for a full set including the converter plugs.

I started stripping down my replacement rear tub yesterday and it has the later 2-screw rear lights, and it looks like the holes are a lot bigger so I don't need to cut out the rear ones :) just connect up the wiring as my 90 is a 1989 with the earlier type lights and no converter plugs :D

Thanks, Harry

I bought Wipacs for fog and reversing, and I have to say the bulb holders are total carp. The bulb doesn't always make contact with the terminals, so only works intermittently. Persistent fiddling and some Kitkat foil wrapper has improved this.

Also the seal between bulb holder and the lamp body is a very soft foam that doesn't actually seal at all, plenty of water has found its way in but no too much mud. At some point I shall swap these out for LE Perei items.

I think looking at these vs the original LR lamps, the originals don't seal that well where the lens sits against the rubber surround of the lamp,thus letting in carp from outside, whereas the Wipac NAS style let moisture in from under the wheelarch.