Transfer Box and 2wd/4wd

difflock

Looking through various threads, I see quite a few have fitted later 5 speed gearboxes...

now I've tried searching but not had much luck, so when you modify the transfer boxes to part time 4wd, how do you support the front drive gear? (and stop it moving into the diff?)

I've seen FridgeFreezers thread, using the Ashcroft kit, but ~£150 for a small bearing and a small cast piece to lock the casing to the rear drive gear seems a lot of money....

I'm considering a similar approach....

Now I know how to weld, and can weld the rear gear to the casing (well, the shafts to be correct :P)

which I will do because its cheaper....

but how can I support the front drive gear on the cheap?

the only way I've considering is modifying the front drive gear.....as in attacking it with an angle grinder until a bearing will fit onto it, and will then fit into the centre diff casing as well...

if I got the right thickness bearing, that should stop the drive gear moving back shouldnt it?

Not really sure why you can't just leave it there, it's never going at a vastly different speed than the surrounding parts and it can't go very far. Maybe a teflon spacer between it & the spider to hold it in place?

I keep reading/being told/etc that you NEED a bearing/bush to support the front drive gear.

so the gear can turn independently to the diff casing....

the kit you used (the Ashcroft/Bearmach one), supplies a front drive gear modified with a bearing.....

but is it only NEEDED when the FWH are used?

unless I'm looking at this the wrong way, but the only difference between a 2wd converted and a standard 4wd centre diff, is in the 2wd converted one, the spider gears are removed, and the rear drive gear is welded to the shafts....

the front gear isnt supported in a 4wd centre diff is it?

Having not taken a centre diff apart yet, I dont really know what they look like internally....

I dont think attacking it with an angle grinder to fit a bearing will be much good....don't you know a turner who can turn it down for you?

sadly, no :(

the only way I can modify it for a bearing, would be to use an angle grinder to take most of the material off, and then use a file to smooth it out and size if for a bearing......

I would say simply dont bother! Leave it all as landrover intended and run it with permanent 4wd.

I've been running mine with permanent 4wd for years. You do not need to do anything to your front axle either, despite what people who havn't tried it will keep telling you.

You get a very small amount of kick back through the steering when its on full lock but thats all. The permanent 4wd makes the thing so much more sure footed on the road.

Jon

The front gear isn't supported as such, just located by the fact it's meshed with the spider gears. I suppose if you ground the teeth off the rear output gear and welded it in, then left the spider gears & front output as-is to free-wheel with no mesh to the rear, it would all sort of work maybe.

Jon is right though, easiest is to leave 4WD. I'm half tempted to go 4WD when I put my new LT230 in just to avoid taking it apart and swapping the kit over.

Jon is right though, easiest is to leave 4WD. I'm half tempted to go 4WD when I put my new LT230 in just to avoid taking it apart and swapping the kit over.

Not quite so easy to donut it round the car park then, though, Fridge....

Where are you?

Cornwall.....

I would say simply dont bother! Leave it all as landrover intended and run it with permanent 4wd.

I've been running mine with permanent 4wd for years. You do not need to do anything to your front axle either, despite what people who havn't tried it will keep telling you.

You get a very small amount of kick back through the steering when its on full lock but thats all. The permanent 4wd makes the thing so much more sure footed on the road.

Jon

I know some US 4x4s run UJ front axles....

its just I'd prefer to stick to 2wd really :P

Not quite so easy to donut it round the car park then, though, Fridge....

not because of this though ;)

The front gear isn't supported as such, just located by the fact it's meshed with the spider gears. I suppose if you ground the teeth off the rear output gear and welded it in, then left the spider gears & front output as-is to free-wheel with no mesh to the rear, it would all sort of work maybe.

Only issue then, is the rear gear would be permanently welded it :(

I might end up with a different gearbox to an LT230 (perhaps an LT95)

so really I was hoping for a modification which would be reversible with a new set of gears....

will have to have a bit of a think.....

Why do you think I went 2WD in the 1st place :D

2wd is more fun :P

I'm with Jon and Fridge on this one. I built a 88" 200tdi, 5 speed defender box and LT230 in permanent 4WD and there is no noticeable change to the steering, leave it permanent 4WD.

Chris

I'd just prefer to have 2wd really.....hopefully with a V8 it will keep the fuel use lower ;)

every little helps ;):P

Ahhh...not exactly round the corner then! I'd have said bring it in for modifying otherwise!

No, sadly :(

Cornwall is a complete pain to be honest.....

I think you're deluding yourself over fuel use, if fuel is really an issue you wouldn't/shouldn't be fitting a V8 in the first place.

it was a joke (hence the wink :P)

seriously though, I just prefer the feel of 2wd on the road :)

will have to see what I can do....