ZF auto box creep

Can anyone tell me if there is any way of adjusting the autobox so that it does not creep too much?

We moved (finally) the new truck under its own power today, and when I select D or R then the truck creeps really badly, i.e will go up the slope / hill in either reverse or drive unless I have my foot on the brake, whereas the father in laws Chrysler MPV auto won't.

This is the first time I've used a ZF auto so I don't know if this is normal.....

The 3.9 V8 and box are the original donor items so have been bolted together since new.

Thats true, but as I'm running megasquirt, I can see that when the cold start enrichment is off, it still creeps a lot.

It should not be able to drive up a hill backwards without the application of the brake in my mind.....

and thats with the tickover at 700 odd rpm....

Well after talking to several peeps now, it seems quite common for what I think is excessive creep.

I don't want to drop the tickover any more than the 750 rpm it is now because of stalling the engine when I engage the hydraulic pump. Therefore, I will just have to live with it!

Thanks for everyones input, I'm just an old woman!!

Well after talking to several peeps now, it seems quite common for what I think is excessive creep.

I don't want to drop the tickover any more than the 750 rpm it is now because of stalling the engine when I engage the hydraulic pump. Therefore, I will just have to live with it!

Thanks for everyones input, I'm just an old woman!!

One of the things I like about the ZF, and a lot of older auto's is the built-in creep. It means you can tackle "rock-crawl" type sections with less risk of inducing wheelspin as you are not constantly on and off the throttle trying to find the point of take-up in the drive.

"Modern" auto's tend to have no creep at idle,presumably to reduce the amount of accidents caused by the brain-dead who knock the car into D without their foot on the brake,then wonder why they've driven through their garage door!

You could lessen it if you find it a problem, by having alterations made to the torque converter. Ashcrofts could help you out with this. I suggest you drive it and get used to as it is first, I think you will like it.

Giles

"Modern" auto's tend to have no creep at idle,presumably to reduce the amount of accidents caused by the brain-dead who knock the car into D without their foot on the brake,then wonder why they've driven through their garage door!

Most modern autos have an interlock that stops you moving the shifter out of park unless you have the brake pedal depressed.

Our Galaxy had a system where the gearbox was essentially 'disconnected' when your foot was on the brake, i.e. at a junction. Main reason was economy, no point in trying to move forward all the time if you've got your brakes on. Worked pretty well until the gearbox broke!!