Defender Montego owner.

I've been posting on my usual Monty site but unfortunately i'm not getting much response probably due to the fact that our cars are becoming a bit of a rarity.I don't want to scrap it unnecessarily so i thought I'd give you guys a shot.

It's been a bit more tricky than usual to change gears these past months,and now it's impossible,with the engine running and clutch depressed I can't change any gears although if i really force the reverse I get mashing.

With the engine not running I can go through the gears without any trouble.

The clutch cable appears to be ok.

There is oil in the gearbox.

I've checked the gear linkage and it seems to be doing it's job.

Are there any surefire methods that will help me deduce whether it's the gearbox or the clutch.

cheers

Matt.

either way, looks like the box is coming out, so it will be just a case of investagative work.

have you tried adjusting the cable? does it feel like a proper clutch pedal or is it very weak/heavy compared to normal?

Put in 1st and started engine which resulted in loads of juddering and I couldn't get it back into neutral.

The pedal does seem a bit weaker than it should be.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Sounds to me like the clutch isn't properly disengaging, which from a financial point of view is good as it is no doubt cheaper than a gearbox :)

Try adjusting the clutch to see if you can get it disengage properly, failing that it's as has been suggested... gearbox out and examine/replace the clutch.