Caster angle

6 pot

If this would be better in the defender forum please move it.

Hi all.

Is there a better way of checking caster angle?

I have a empty axle case with the balls bolted onto the ends and a round bar that is a good fit in the bearing holes I am planning on using this to measure the caster angle which I think should be 3 degrees

Would this be the best way of doing it? and is 3 degrees right?

Thanks Rob

Thanks for that but I do not have any mounts on the chassis I should add this is an project that was started by someone else that I am trying to finnish it will hopefully be a coil sprung 101 when it is finished so is my way a sound way forward ? Is there a better way?

Thanks Rob

You don't need to use the round bar the swivel bearing hole is enough of a "flat" to get a digital level on.

3 degrees is what they are supossed to be, but in reality they never are i've measured more than a 3 degrees difference side to side.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help but I am having trouble getting things right. Does anyone have any advice for getting the front axle in the right place? I have spent days trying to get the angles right before welding the mounts on. How critcal is the 3 degree caster angle?

Thanks again for your help

I think his problem bish is that he's fitting a coiler axle under a 101, so he has no datum to work from.

In responce to the op's question anything less than 3 degrees of caster and the steering will not self center properly and you'll struggle to hold on to the steering wheel after hitting potholes in the road.

From memory there is a 23 degree difference between the diff mounting flange and 0 caster.

But that would need remeasuring, it's been a while.

could you not find a 90 or 110 or rr classic to compare the suspension geometry with?

remember with lr set up the caster angle changes depending on the ride height of the vehicle so ideally needs to be measured in its full road going set up.

saying that most vehicles drive without any difference with 2" lift and some dont?

Thanks for the info it has given me something to think about and thanks for the pm s where could I find a axle drawing?

Thanks Rob

I sent you the required angles but I can't send you a drawing unfortunately, I'd get wrong lol!

Are there any dimensions in particular you want?