Can someone tell me what these wires are??

I've got a defender TD5 transfer box to replace the leaky box on my 1989 110. Its all fine, but the new box has an additional sensor and set of wires that the old one doesnt (i think - the old ones still on the truck). See the pics below:

post-12362-0-86592800-1313065034_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-76649600-1313065089_thumb.jpg

Are these a problem for me to fit this box to my 110? Do i need to do anything with them?

Thanks

Pretty sure that's the lock-out solenoid, and it needs removing... did it come out of an auto?

I dont know. I guess the chances are low since it came out of a defender - its a 1.4:1 ratio (or so the sticker says).

Hope this isnt going to be complicated! I was in a hurry when i picked it up, so didnt pay much attention otherwise i would have queried it.

I think it is IGM100000 "LOW ratio detect."

That sounds like it would be less trouble than a lock out solenoid! I guess i can just leave that as is??

I wondered if it was anything to do with newfangled things like traction or cruise control?

It's the sensor that tells the engine ECU that you're in low ratio, so that it can re-map the throttle response as such.

So its ok to just leave it disconnected?

One other thought i've just had about this box is that i need to check its not an LT230Q as i dont think my overdrive input gear will work with that from what i've just read whilst researching this switch! Thats going to bug me till i get home now and can look at the serial number!

Thanks all. Thats a releif!

I've just checked the serial number and it is:

post-12362-0-31571700-1313080191_thumb.jpg

I'm presuming the badly formed figure at the start is a '5' - the 57D corresponds with a 1.4:1 ratio according to Ashcrofts and from this number, i dont think this is an LT230Q - the manual i have states that the LT230Q are prefixed with 36D, 37D, 38D & 40D (the first two are disco units and the second two are defender). Having said that, can anyone confirm that i am correct with this? - my LT230T manual isnt old enough to cover this prefix so i cant confirm it from that!

Just dug out my Rave CD and the LT230T manual on there has 57D listed as the defender version of the box. LT230Q is as stated above.

Looks like it should be ok with my overdrive, but will check the input gears are identical tooth wise when i have them side by side.

I guess the other good thing about this box is that it comes with the attachment to convert my speedo to a TD5 version. Not a job for this weekend - the old speedo drive will be going in, but a [project for the future (as if there isnt enough to do on it!)

AFAIK all LT230 trf boxes can accommodate the electronic speedo transducer required for Td5 Speedo. It has the same fitment into the box as the old speedo drive cable.

I think you are right. I meant that this box has come with the transducer to attach the wires to, so its saved me the hassle of sourcing one later.

AFAIK all LT230 trf boxes can accommodate the electronic speedo transducer required for Td5 Speedo. It has the same fitment into the box as the old speedo drive cable.

Correct, the green transducer just bolts straight on, uses the same drive gear as the cable driven speedo.