Suspension thoughts on 110CSW with Boge unit fitted

A friend of mine has a 110CSW that he has just taken the stiff aftermarket springs and shocks off,and has bought a new Boge unit and wants to fit standard springs.Now I know this is standard,but here is where we differ.He is fitting some of Gwyns Challenge mounts F & R along with the associated bits including shocks.We are worried that with the 180lb rear springs and not wanting to run a rear sway bar,that there will be too much body roll.Normal Defender springs are too heavy and give a harsh ride,has anyone found a spring that gives a soft compliant ride that is slightly firmer than the 180lb standard springs,but allows the vehicle to sit at relatively stock height.

I keep on trying to convince him to use something similar to my Defender setup and ditch the Boge unit,but because it is new,he wants to use it.

Regards

I also found my 110 from -97 to be quite unstable in corners. The anti roll bar doesn't seem to help much, so I followed the advice given to others on this forum and fitted progressive springs from a later (Td5) 110 at the rear. Problem more or less solved. And the good thing is that I already had the springs since they sat on a rear axle I bought from a scrappy for my One Ten. :rolleyes:

The Boge unit is still sitting there, but will probably never be engaged to function since the springs lifted the rearend a little. The springs are a bit more stiff, but not in any way uncomfy.

If he doesn't want a sway bar because of the reduction in suspension travel, has he looked at the X-Deflex from www.X-eng.co.uk?

Yes we have looked at the Deflex setup,but for this setup,it would be easier and less expensive to run a normal sway bar and just have split pin disconnects.He is wanting to do away with sway bars altogether.

Progressive springs seems to be the best idea in my train of thought,but what rate springs are people using in conjunction with a working Boge unit and still maintaining a supple ride?

I run with boge unit and HD progressive springs , still have arb fitted, the axle hits bump stops before arb restricts anything . 4x4 are not the most stable of vehicles to begin with , if you remove arb and then had a roll over type accident some questions might be quite tough to answer and might have financial implications !!

I removed the Boge strut from my 110CSW, it's been riding one O.M.E springs/dampers, still has the rear anti-roll bar fitted & it's great to drive on all roads, the arb hasn't given any off tarmac problems yet when out in the mud on pay/play sites.

Unfortunately the O.M.E springs give a terrible ride on our roads(I am in Australia)they are way too hard and restrict articulation.And for the use that our vehicles get,anti roll bars definately restrict wheel travel.

I run with boge unit and HD progressive springs , still have arb fitted, the axle hits bump stops before arb restricts anything . 4x4 are not the most stable of vehicles to begin with , if you remove arb and then had a roll over type accident some questions might be quite tough to answer and might have financial implications !!

The vehicle doesn't have an arb fitted,they were an accessory on 110s here in 1985,and he is definately not interested in fitting one.Funny because my Defender with 3" lift and running 35's is much more stable than the Jap vehicles that monopolise over here.

I also have progressive rear springs in my truck,but they are too heavy for the vehicle with the Boge unit,just need to find out what springs to run

Try king springs (IIRC) thats what I have fitted (in Australia) they work really well , have KONI dampers OME were too soft (early type) and Bilsteins top came off!! But i do travel with quite a bit of kit in back inc LR fuel tanks and water .

I have a set of custom made Kings springs in my Defender,but mine is set up a lot differently than the vehicle I am talking about here.The Kings are superior to the OME springs in every way.

Wayne